HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to EVERYTHING
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to EVERYTHING

I dont know of any shotguns, currently made, that have a smoothbore, rifle sights and an adjustable choke. Mabye a turkey model. I dont think you can find a smoothie w/ adjustable sight anymore, unless you find a used one, and If your deer hunting only, you dont need an adjustable choke to shoot slugs. If you want to just shoot slugs, buy a rifled barrel gun and shoot sabot or even traditional slugs.

If you want a gun for slugs and shot, you can buy a combo or get a basic field model which should come w/ different choke tubes for different game, and buy a saddle style scope mount to shoot slugs. If you dont want to buy a scope ,You can also buy an adjustable sight set that mounts on the barrel rib, which would be the least you would need to use slugs legally in NJ.

I think ,if Im not mistaken, NJ 6 day firearms season is next week, so your time to buy a gun, and sight it in, is limimted. You might want to consider using 3" 00buckshot through a full choke,(legal in NJ I believe)and keep your shots under 30 yds. However, you will still need to pattern the gun before hand.

Good luck