Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

keep on missing

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM

Default keep on missing

Hey all new here . age 15. But i went out hunting at the weekend and shot a deer within the first 2 hours. but later day i seen a deer and missed. Then the next days afternoon seen a another deer and missed again. Guns sighted in good. I think i forget the hold the guns front down on the rest and forget to squeeze the trigger. what are shooting tips that might help?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: keep on missing

dont rush the shot.. relax.. breath.. dont hold your breath to shoot butshoot between breaths instead. squeeze the trigger.. dont pull it. and most of all.. practice practice practice. you want to know your yardage.. how your weapon shoots at different distances.. if its dead on at 50 yrds.. where are you shooting at 100? this is what practice/ target shooting will help you with.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't say what kind of rifle you are shooting, but you may be flinching at the shot. Too much kick? At 15 or so a .243 would be a perfect choice for you. Lots of rounds at the range would probably be a good investment. Are you absolutey sure you are missing?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

You don't say what kind of rifle you are shooting, but you may be flinching at the shot. Too much kick? At 15 or so a .243 would be a perfect choice for you. Lots of rounds at the range would probably be a good investment. Are you absolutey sure you are missing?
a 30-06
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

i missed a deer six times in a row and hit on the seventh.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

like others have said practice as much as possible. relax, don't tense up, squeeze the trigger, don't snatch it. It should surprise you when the gun goes off.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM

just relax and wait for the good shot... seems for me the longer i wait the more calmer i get
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Don't forget tofollow through after you shoot.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

It's probably just nerves. Last year I missed my first two deer. After the second miss I was wondering about my scope. I had a buddy put a Burger King bag on a berm at 60 yards. I nailed the middle of the BK logo. Knowing it was just my own fault, I worked on some calming routines for when they walk out. I got three deer in short order.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

A lot of people don't get enough range time to really come proficient shooters (myself definitely included), and as a result we develop bad habits like flinching, not following through, jerking the trigger etc etc. So what I do during the season is when i get home and night and before i put my rifle away i triple check that its unloaded and practice a few nice clean dry fires. I will pick out a small spot on the wall (or better yet put on a hunting show and try to get a good shot off on the deer on tv) and slowly squeeze the trigger until i get a perfect trigger break with no jerking or flinching. I feel like it helps me not fall back into bad habits. Again, just remember all the gun safety rules and make sure its unloaded.

Quick Reply: keep on missing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.