Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck knife question

Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Default buck knife question

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize...couldnt figure out where to put this.

Does anyone have a knife that has a "gut hook" on the blade? If so, how in the heck do you sharpen the hook? I cant get a rod or anything to fit in the gut hook at the propper angle for sharpening...is there a special stone for this, or something?

Again sorry for putting this in the deer hunting forum moderators, please move it, if there is a better section for this.

thanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: buck knife question

the only way i could think of is to use a fine round file. one you could find at a hobby store. but i never even thought of sharpening it coz its not really a blade is it?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM

well it does have a little edge on it (the hook) you can see a little shiny edge on both sides of the hook...I am not sure if it's supposed to be shaprpened or not...I would assume it would go "dull" after a time though. It's a brand new knife..my better half picked up for me today while I was out hunting.

This is the first knife I had with a gut hook, so I'm not sure about the sharpening and upkeep of the hook...
I've seenf riends use them and was impressed with the whole hook thing, and mentioned it the other night, so she went out and got me one as a surprise and I'm sitting here putting an edge on the knife and was stumped when it came to the hook it self...

I have a little angle rod That I was sure would fit in there but it does not.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

you got me thinking now... oh and what stone do you use to sharpen your knife?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 PM

jayman,

I have a ton of stones around here lol...used to usean arkansas soft stone that was passed down from my dad..now I use a lansky kit. For me it helps keep the angles correct...

for quick touchups, I just use a porcelain rod.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

ahhh think I found an answer...a chainsaw sharpening file. found a suggestion on google for that. Unless anyone here has any experience or suggestions on anything better for sharpening the hook....
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

All the chainsaw files that I have used would be to aggressive for knife sharpening. I would think that someone makes file similar in size only finer. I personally dont think that gut hook would need much sharpening though. Even after a couple of uses it should stay sharp, but then again I have never used one.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would sure like to hear how this turns out. I have been having the same problem. I took my new buck knife with gut hook up this year. After the second elk it was vey dull. I tried a couple of different ways and it was better, but never as sharp as it was new. You should post a pic and get specific on what you use and how it works.

Thanks Bryan
Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are several different sizes of chainsaw files. You might find one that fits better than another. I made the mistake of asking a friend to sharpen my Schrade with a gut hook. He took a Dremel grinder and ruined the hook.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Check this out!

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?range=31&Mode=Cat&Cat=96&S KU=BU1325

Quick Reply: buck knife question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.