Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground scrape question

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Ground scrape question

Hi guys,
On my way back from my stand this morning, I found a FRESH groundscrape....leaves have been blowing around like crazy and this would have been covered up...but it wasn't...fresh dirt was also turned up a little bit in it, and there were droppings right beside it that were still soft...this scrape is about 100 yards in a thicket from my stand...

My question is, I am going back in the morning, but today I am hitting the store for more supplies..some scent blocker spray (ran out today) and Also some doe estrous...

Should I run a drag with the estrous directly from the scrape to my stand?...would that be enough to hopefully draw him in to me? or do I spray a bit in the scrape and do the drag?

Also what brands are best? I have been using code blue , but only on wicks, and I had a 9 point walk by at 80 -85 yards from me on monday morning , too far for a shotgun shot...would code blue work on this?

I am new at this, any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default RE: Ground scrape question

Bucks usually check scrapes from downwind. So if your setup is upwind - no matter what you drag - the wind and his nose will beat you. If you do drag, don't go from the scrape and immediatly climb your tree, but rather stay out away fom your tree a comfortable distanceanddrag it out past your stand (keeping the scent trail upwind from you)to where you plan on shooting him. As far as brands of products, I just don't know. It seems like every deer has it's ownpreference.

My own thoughts: Sometimes I catch myself putting too much confidence in these little tricks like scent killing spray and scents and such. When I do, I have to get back to the basics of good woodsmanship and ALWAYS playing the wind.
I will even go as far to say that if you set up downwind of that scrape and something comes in to check it, you wouldn't need the scent blocker scentlock or scent attractant. What you will need is to set still and keep your weapon in your hand.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 AM

thanks whitetail,

yeah my stand was defiantley upwind of that scrape today.
We had a stiff n wind blowing this morning..If the wind is the same tomorrow the only option I have is to find a spot downwind of the area but I would have to huntfrom the ground..I only have the one stand which is a ladder stand..and the woods are kinda thick so it woould be a task to move it by myself back and forth depending on the wind..

If I had to , would being on the ground be a disadvantage in this situation...there are a few deadfalls I can sit behind/beside and some brush..like a little natural blind..
Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ScottVA

If I had to , would being on the ground be a disadvantage in this situation...there are a few deadfalls I can sit behind/beside and some brush..like a little natural blind..
It's possible to score from the ground but in my opinion much more difficult. Harder to see them coming and movement is not an option. Try not to spread your scent around too much walking around looking for a place to set up. Maybe a little camo netting and some brush if you choose to hunt on the ground. Scape the leaves down to bare dirt to keep noise down when you move your feet or drop something.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Gotcha, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice !! I really appreciate it.

There is a spot I already have in mind if I will be on the ground, it is right in the corner of the property..after this season, I am considering putting a stand in each corner..I just dont have the funds to do that right now...

I'm really getting into this

thanks again for the help man
Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 AM

by the way, you stated a buck will check the scrape from downwind...generally how close do they get to it before they can smell it / check it? I guess a lot of diff variables would make this a difficult question to answer though, such as wind speed and such...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Spike

Somebody on a video said they would be about 20 yds downwind and that your setup should be 20 yds downwind from that. I assume they were bowhunting.

I don't know if that's true ~just hearsay from a television show.

One thing you can count on most of the time... When you think you've got him figured out...he'll do something different.
When the rut is in anything can happen.

If you knew where his trail is you could settle in at your favorite shotgun distance.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 AM

ok thanks again
There are several trails leading in and out of the thicket where this particular scrape is..one of which is heavily used by does..I've seen a lot of does on one trail...never saw a buck traveling that same trail though..but one of the other trails that appears not to be used so muchclose to this scrape has a bunch of new rubs this year, not RIGHT on the trail , but off to the side of it..I am not sure how old the rubs are, but the wood is still white..on the trees..so they cant be too old..and they are almost in a line..spaced apart anywhere from 10-40 feet (the rubbed trees)

I really appreciate your help whitetail
Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Spike

A RUBLINE! That's great!

Set up on that trail but don't let those does bust you.

Good Luck.

When you see him, stop him where you want himwith a noise> I usually use my own voiceto imitate a doe sort of aahhor mmaaaah. Pick a spot, use a rest, deep breath, exhaleslowly,relax and squeeeeeeze.

Then the work starts.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

One of the biggest lessons I've learned was from a co-worker. He told me to lose the gimmicks. I no longer use cover sents, I don't bait deer and I feel that scent blocker clothing is a joke. I've saved a ton of money and I'm still seeing several deer.

Quick Reply: Ground scrape question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.