Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bucks

Old 11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bucks

I got my first buck this weekend pretty nice 10 pointer. I have passed up many other bucks over the years. I was wondering do you guys have a set minimum of the size of deer you will shoot? Normally I wouldnt shoot anything less then a 6, but now I have a 10. Should you keep trying to shoot a bigger buck then the one before? I guess all depends on the area you hunt. May not hold monster bucks. I would really like some good input here.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bucks

To many factors to take into account. Some are: what bucks have I been seeing, What is the weather like, how many more days will I be able to hunt, and so on. Since I hunt a lease and do notspend a lot of time there it's hard to get a real feel for what deer are around. I would like to shoot at least an 8 this coming weekend, but as the hours pass the expectations start to shrink too...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all deoends on what you want. I shot a buck last year that would be hard to top for a while. I personaly think 8 point or better where I hunt. But if an outstanding 6 point came by I may be tempted. Especialy with my bow.

For me that makes a big difference with what I'm hunting with. With my bow a smaller buck may need to worry. With a shotgun...I may be more picky. Also depends on how long I get to hunt.

I generaly try for a mature deer. doe or buck
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have havent seen anything bigger then what I shoot. Usually I am out there few times a week. I have heard and seen from other people in my area of bigger deer. Which brings me to other question. Some areas are better for hunting bucks then others. These better areas how did they get the record breaking buck?