Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Old 12-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Greed is the problem.... Our DNR has always tried to make profits off the hunters. When you buy your license that money is supposed to be your contribution to game management. But instead the DNR started charging lots of money for each tag. Thats what "bag limets" are for. There would not be a need EAB if the Department of Nazi Recruits would of given free doe tags up to a certain number with the licenses to begin with...
Think about young kids who are struggling to get a deer... Any deer. Now tell them they can't shoot a buck. Why would they even continue to try? Its a good way to stop new generations from starting to hunt.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Only if you get a sportsmens or Super Sportsman right?

Actually Charlie, I don't know. I've always purchased either the sportsmen or super sportsman and was never charged for a dmp. I guess I'm just assuming dmps are a no charge for everyone.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Just curious Bukmastr but why do you think the kids would struggle to get a deer so much, I could see them struggling to get a buck because of too many does or maybe you meant like I said about shooting to many and then being luck to see anything maybe that is what you meant.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM

I think that the EAB program in WI served a purpose, but the numbers that the DNR is basing it upon is a bit out of wack right now.

The amount of deer I have been seeing has been decreasing every year for the last 3-4 years, it is now not uncommon to see 2-1 or even 3-1 bucks to does (and the bucks are not of the large nature for the most part)

I would be interested in finding out how the herd numbers are estimated, I did not hunt opening weekend in my usual area (hunted up north where we do not see many deer to begin with) but talking to neighbors, I can there were 5 guys that saw a total of 11 deer between them over the course of two days. Maybe in different areas this does not hold true, but around me, there are not nearly as many deer as in previous years. With a stated deer population of 25-30 deer per square mile, this is probably what we can look forward to in the future.

30 deer/sq mi = 1 deer every 21.3 acres

So that 40 acres that you bought for deer hunting will have 1 7/8 deer on it. Odds are the biggest reason you bought that land was to deer hunt, great deal at $3000-$5000/acre in my area.

When I go out into the woods, I want to see deer, sometimes I wonder if that is what the DNR in WI wants to happen. The way it stands right now, I do not agree with the EAB program, if you have an overabundance of deer in your area, shoot as many as you wish, but around here, it is not needed, and for some, not wanted.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

They walk the perimiters and the intersects of properties within 24 hrs of a fresh snowfall hereand count the sets of tracks and the piles of droppings and then determine how many deer reside on a individual property. With as many deer as there is around here it's hard to imagine there only being 25-30 a square mile in WI considering you guys have more deer than us and I know we have more than that.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: patchholder

Just curious Bukmastr but why do you think the kids would struggle to get a deer so much, I could see them struggling to get a buck because of too many does or maybe you meant like I said about shooting to many and then being luck to see anything maybe that is what you meant.
Its hard just to find a deer, any deer, on the public land near my home... 6 years ago, it was easy. The DNR has devastated the herd here. My point about the kids is that they dream of getting a big buck but go day after day without even seeing a deer... Then tell them they have to shoot a doe 1st when they can't even see a deer... They just give up.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

the worst part i see is that it devalues killing a doe. for someone like me, killing a doe is a beautiful thing that i'm thankful for. killing a buck with massive antlers is just gravy. it seems that my friends who hunt in wisconsin feel it's a punishment, and i don't understand that mindset, as i'm happy to harvest anything, especially with a season like this.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I also believe that earn a buck is a good thing,if it is focused on sound herd management principles, but only in areas where the deer population is excessive.It is good for all huntersin the long term.I personallyam hoping to seeantler restrictions some day. I passed on twosix-pointsthis seasonjust to take the does.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: rustynobles

the worst part i see is that it devalues killing a doe. for someone like me, killing a doe is a beautiful thing that i'm thankful for. killing a buck with massive antlers is just gravy. it seems that my friends who hunt in wisconsin feel it's a punishment, and i don't understand that mindset, as i'm happy to harvest anything, especially with a season like this.

It feels like a bit of punishment, because you got the DNR telling you that the herd is at record numbers, and is at an unsustainable limit, while on the other hand a person can sit out there all day long and not see anything.

While 15-20 years ago before (QDM/QAM pick your acronym) it was rare to see any bucks, but there were does aplenty to be seen, it was also the time where you sent in for a party permit, in the hopes of being drawn for the opportunity to shoot a doe. The herd population supposedly at that time was less than what it is today, but I can remember seeing over 40 does on opening day.....mininum.

My major complaint is not about harvesting does, even before EAB, I usually managed to take one when it was permissible. It is about the disconnect between being told there are ALOT of deer out there and the reality of not seeing any.