Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Earn-a-Buck...and no does!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Earn-a-Buck...and no does!

Yesterday was the start of deer season here in Wisconsin, and unfortunately, its Earn-A-Buck in my area, so I'm looking for any last minute advice on hunting does.

Here's the stats:
I hunt alone, in a pop-up ground blind on the edge of a well-pathed deertrail across a creek/ditch between a marsh and woods. Yesterday, I saw a 6 point buck walk south on the trail in the AM, then north in the PM, leading me to think he's not chasing a doe, rather checking his territory. Never saw me or smelled me. So close, I could poke him with my gun. He's taunting me, I swear.

Any last minute tips on getting a doe/antlerless buck to fill the tag and get my buck sticker? I've got a fawn bleat, and have tried with no results.If there's any other tips you guys have tried, much would be appreciated!

PS: Is there a better time of day to use a fawn bleat? Morning, afternoon, before sunrise?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Earn-a-Buck...and no does!

does are easy. find a very well used deer trail and wait. Or set up on a field... Does are always lots easier to find than bucks
Old 11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

It seems like you have an opposite problem of the rest of the hunting world. The rest of us are looking for bucks but have does.
Set up on a field where they will feed in the morning or evening.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gosh, I don't know anything about killing does....Out of the 8 deer I've killed this year, only 7 have been does....I saw 11 yesterday evening, now I'm waiting for the rut to kick in, so the does will bring them in...

What are your deer eating this time of year??? Find that and you will find the deer...With the rut close, stay near the does as they will bring the bucks to you...The trick is staying near the does without spooking them....
Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM

make some drives if nothing else.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Yeah i hunt in WI too, and today was the first time all year, including bow season, that i have seen any does! Ive probably seen 12 bucks and no does before today. So i guess you just have to get lucky to get one come by, and i agree with 24/7. Definitely get out there and do some drives, try and get some of those does and fawns that are hunkered down.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mcagney014

Yeah i hunt in WI too, and today was the first time all year, including bow season, that i have seen any does! Ive probably seen 12 bucks and no does before today. So i guess you just have to get lucky to get one come by, and i agree with 24/7. Definitely get out there and do some drives, try and get some of those does and fawns that are hunkered down.
All the does must have left Wisconsin.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

if there are more bucks than does why do you have to earn a buck???
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

if there are more bucks than does why do you have to earn a buck???
Good question.

Just ask the DNR. They got no good answer.

I guess just to ruin hunting for the 35 units in Wisconsin that are Earn-A-Buck.

They say 2 does for every buck. For the people I know, its more like 2 bucks for every doe.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Got her! Last night my buddy, the buck, brought his girlfriend with him! They ran out into the marsh maybe 50 yards in front of me, and she only ran 300 yards or so before she bedded down in the woods to die. My first deer ever! I'm excited to get back out there now and see if the buck will return. Cross your fingers!

Quick Reply: Earn-a-Buck...and no does!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.