Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

You don't seem to understand that some folks are not that interested in shooting, dragging out, butchering, wrapping, and eating does. They just want to hang a big rack on the wall. Hard to deal with a mindset like that.
I understand that there are hunters that feel that way and I agree that it is a hard mindset to change or deal with. I'm wondering if any of them are the same ones arguing herd control as a compelling reason to continue to allow hunting.

I also wonder how many of them understand what 2FNSLO described about the buck to doe ratio and the effect it has on the rut. Guys that are serious about taking bucks for racks should also care about managing the doe herd so that they'll get the bucks competing with each other and more on the prowl for does.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think there are just far too many people who only understand Big Rack= Good, Doe= I'm a wimp. For every couple of deep thinkers on the subject of management, you are gonna get somebody who has a big rack on the wall and a whole lot of freezer burnt venison that they didnt even really want.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

EAB is a good deal. Do I like it if I'm in my stand with a big buck in shooting range and I don't have a buck tag? Not really, but I realize that the reason the state had to go to it isn't becuase of guys like me who shoot does anyway, it is for the guys who will only shoot a buck. Ifyou are going to hunt, you need to do what is best for the deer. As hunters our #1 concern should be helping the deer herd overall, not just helping ourselves.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

The earn a buck program is a great idea and we as hunters need to help the dnr with the deer population. So take the shot take the doe and smile you have food to eat because if you dont the possibilty of the whole state going to a EAB zone is a very real possibilty. I was recently talking to the local DNR Officer and the projection for EAB units for the next couple years unless something drastic happens involves the whole state.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

You don't seem to understand that some folks are not that interested in shooting, dragging out, butchering, wrapping, and eating does. They just want to hang a big rack on the wall. Hard to deal with a mindset like that.
i would call that person a sportsman... not a hunter
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would call them a shooter, and nothing else. Sportsman certainly doesn't fit.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, the EAB program seems to make sense and I believe mostethical hunters who care about the quality of their states deer herd would be hard pressed to argue against it. That being said, I can see the irritation that would arise if the first deer you see in the season is a big shooter. Missouri (where I primarily hunt deer) is doing a good job managing the antler sizes with their antler restriction rules. Now if they implemented an EAB program for at least several years, I believe they would have a deer herd quality that would match Iowa or Illinois.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that I failed to mention is that there are now more big bucks BECAUSE of EAB, so that is another plus, at least in MHO.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot does more then I shoot bucks.....My yearly deer kill plan is atleast 2 does 1 buck or more (if i manage) Trust me i dont just buck hunt I try to balance my limit of bucks is 2 a year and like 3 does a year (if I even kill that many i never have)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i could care less about EAB. i shoot atleast 2 does a year no matter what. i only shoot bucks if they are 3.5 or older. so personally i dont give a crap about EAB here in wisconsin

Quick Reply: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.