Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

All the hunters from other states dont seem to realize that many areas of wisconsin are having the herd decimated after repeated seasons of earn-a-buck. Where I bow hunt I used to see five to ten deer a sit, now me and the others that hunt our land only see a deer half the time we sit. I understand how guys who who have the chance at a doe every single time you hunt would not see what the big deal is, you just shoot one one of the tons of does you see every year and get your sticker, but when the number of does isnt anywhere near what it used to be, getting your sticker isnt just a drop in the bucket anymore.

Further, Wisconsin has a lot more hunting pressure than most other states. This fall Matthews put out a bowhunting special magazine. In the back were stats about each state. Wisconsin had an unreal number of licenses sold compared to most other states . Requiring600,000 people to shoot a doe can really hurt your herd. For exampleit is not uncommon in my area to have ten or more people crammed into 80 acres for gun season and have just has many bow hunt the sameproperty. If you haveseveral properties that make up 1000 acres with over 100 hunters that have to shoot a doe for bow and gun season, that is potentially 200 dead does on 1000 acres(one for a archery buck tag, one for a gun buck tag). Its no wonder noone is seeing many deer anymore.

I am not against shooting does, and have shot many myself. I just think the DNR has gone completely overboard and has killed the tradition for people that huntin very pressured areas and small properties, which most everyone Iknow does.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would really like to see Illinois implement an EAB program to help maintain a healthier, balanced population.

If given my druthers I would see it implementedon resident and non-resident hunters with residents able to carry over a doe harvested the prior season but non-residents not able to carry over. Many, many NR come to simply take a buck thatIL has "created". Harvesting a doe asan investment into the populations health is a fair enough think toask (require). The additional tag would not be of any substantial costat all compared to the overall amount spent for the hunting trip.If they did not wish to keep thevenison thereare plenty of pantries and programs the meat could go to good use.

Yes I would run the program encompassing deer taken by both bow and firearm. Meaningyou can harvest the necessary doe by archery and then gun a buck.

Run the program 6 or 8 years and evaluate the results after 3 or 4 years and then every year.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Spike

I totally agree uncle matt, Illinois should do something now before its too late. I have seen this state sliding down a very slippery slope the last few years in terms of statewide deer herd management (closing check stations, etc.). I think we are risking our high quality herd if we don't change something. I wouldn't mind seeing us go to one buck a year as well.

Of course, that all is dependent on the DNR actually existing in 5 years.....
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Managing the deer herd in Illinois is gonna turn into a joke as long as they are jacking up the cost of permits but then using the money to fix potholes in Cook County. In some instances, the state will not even issue any sort of cull permits to farmers who are suffering significant crop damage in areas literally over-run with does. So, they have been forced to implement their own unofficial doe programs[:@]
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 11pt

I totally agree uncle matt, Illinois should do something now before its too late. I have seen this state sliding down a very slippery slope the last few years in terms of statewide deer herd management (closing check stations, etc.). I think we are risking our high quality herd if we don't change something. I wouldn't mind seeing us go to one buck a year as well.

Of course, that all is dependent on the DNR actually existing in 5 years.....
Mostly courtesy of that SOB Govenor Blowmebitch and his crooked, thieving ways.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Managing the deer herd in Illinois is gonna turn into a joke as long as they are jacking up the cost of permits but then using the money to fix potholes in Cook County. In some instances, the state will not even issue any sort of cull permits to farmers who are suffering significant crop damage in areas literally over-run with does. So, they have been forced to implement their own unofficial doe programs[:@]
Again we can thank the govenor,his thieving ways and his cuts into the budgets of departments and programs that have adequate funding so he can put the money where he chooses.

Ask the SOB why we aren't getting our fed money. Why he won't let IDNR people answer their questions to adequately qualify to receive the money.

Why? Because the answer to the feds questions of how we spent the last money is the Govenor essentially STOLE it from natural programs and spent it where he saw fit. The SOB thinks because he is govenor he can make up the rules as he goes along and as he sees fit.

Don't work that way Blob - you work for us beeee-otch.But that is just for the time being. Come next election - YOU ARE OUTTHIEF.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for getting me started guys. LOL
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM

I believe that this is a great idea for the goverment to do i really wish ohio would adopt this law it would help tremendously.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Just remember that the state really doesn't care about the herd health. It is all about the money, nothing more nothing less. If they truly want people to harvest does, make doe tags free. Untill then, it will always appaer as it is all about the money, not the health of the herd.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: teedub31

Just remember that the state really doesn't care about the herd health. It is all about the money, nothing more nothing less. If they truly want people to harvest does, make doe tags free. Untill then, it will always appaer as it is all about the money, not the health of the herd.
Thats not always true!!

In Virginia if your a landowner you dont even have to buy a license or tags, you can check them in as a landowner. Also, in VA only certain counties have the EAB, and all those counties have what they call an extreme population of deer. They also give Residents 6 deer tags, 1 bear, and 3 turkey tags for $18, not making a ton on that. Especially when if you own the land you dont have to pay.

Quick Reply: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.