Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cost for mount

Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cost for mount

The guy that did mine (pic above) charges 425 for the regular shoulder mount. I looked at a bunch of his work before settling on him. I wanted the best job I could get and I wanted it to last.

The key is to ask them questions. It more than just the cost. Some people use dri-tan stuff that is a powder they put on the green hide instead of tanning. Then they go ahean and put it directly on the form wet. This makes thier turn around times very fast. Unfortunatly, I have heard that over time you will know the difference between the ones professionaly tanned and the dri-tan ones. I haven't seen this first hand and have a friend who uses it. But his aren't near what my taxi did.

I looked at it like this. If I shoot a buck I want to put on the wall I want him to look exactly as I remember him. I don't want to have it look like an old mount after 5-10-15 years. I want it to last. Is it worth saving a hundred bucks only to have to redo it later with someone elses cape or to live with a mount that looks funny after a while... Not to me.

Bottom line is research the process some. Ask questions to the taxi your considering. Then look at the guys work. It pays to ask him for references too. I went to a guys house and looked at his mounts. He had alot of them. And he only had 2 by this guy and let me tell you you could tell the difference.

Good luck.

Jason
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

about 400-500
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

im paying 350 for mine i saw his stuff and it looks real nice also its only supposed to take 3 months
Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Spike

Where can I get a page to see some examples? I'm getting my first buck mounted an 11 pointer
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

I just put the deposit down on mine. $375 guarnteed in my possession by March 1st (but he said to have my wall ready by Valentines Day.)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

I am not doubt you, but obviously the guy you use must not value his own time if all he charges is $175. I just went through 4 catalogs picking out the form I wanted. The cheapest form was $100. So your guy only made $75 bucks??? Not worth the for 2-3 months worth of quality time and effort put into it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Around $495 in Minneapolis MN from a legitimate source.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

im paying 350 for mine i saw his stuff and it looks real nice also its only supposed to take 3 months
Who'd you go with. I'd suspect pre gun season they are all a bit faster. Gun season they get flooded with work.
BTW does your guy send the hides out to tan?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

$350 - $500 is about right if they know what they're doing
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

I think mine was around 215-230. The guy is so cheap because he says that when he went to go get his first mount done, and the guy wanted $450 for it. He said that is why he got into the business.

I can see why he is so cheap. It would be a rip-off to even pay that much for a mount that looks as terrible as that. I'm not cutting down your buck. He's a great trophy. It's just a shame that you trusted that guy to do it for you.

Quick Reply: cost for mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.