Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WHO'S Deer IS IT??

Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHO'S Deer IS IT??

I shot a small buck years ago in WV. I was hunting with my 12 gauge and shot the deer perfect through the heart. The buck took off on its death run and out of sight. A minute or two later I hear 2 shots. I follow the massive blood trail right to the guy. The deer was dead in seconds I have no doubt. This guy (and his buddy) claimed he shot it at a full run and ...get this...hit in in the head and chest with his scopped .308. Ok fine...I ask can I look. I lift the deers leg from the oposite side I shot him from and see the massive 1" hole perfectly behind his shoulder. It had passed through and hit his off side knuckle. I wanted to be absolutly sure I had killed the buck so I staid and whatched the guy field dress it. He pulled the heart out in peices. His bullet never found the chest that I could tell. In fact it looked like to me the guy walked up and shot it in the head after it fell.(perfect entry and exit hole in the head with no other damage). The more he talked the more I believed he just wanted to claim he killed one. I doubt he even tagged it realy. He told me, among other things, he had only recently sighted in his gun he had been using for years, I should have aimed higher. He was realy talking alot and I could tell what had happened.

I killed that deer and probably could have made a fuss. But I figured he needed it more than I did. I just let him have it.
So as for hunting on public, or private land for that matter, With a gun I make sure they are down. If I can at all get another round at them I shoot.Especialy if they beed where I can see them.

I think your first shot probably wouldn't have killedhim. I would take that into consideration if Ishot one and someone came up. If I thought the wound to be fatal...I'd give it to them (especialy if it was a younger hunter) but a wound like you describe sounds like it wasn't fatal. He bedded because he was hurt sure. But he probably was just nursing his wound.

You still have your tag so go get a bigger one.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have proably ahve given it to you,but it really doesn't sound like you made a kill shot.

To the guy's saying first Blood,you saying if I shot a buck low brisket and it travels 400 yards and some guy double lungs it, I should claim that deer?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot him quartering away at about 55 yards. He bedded down with in 20 yds but when i walked over to look for blood he took off.
I would have shot him again at 20 yards when he first bedded down. It's not like it was a dove flopping around. Bullets are cheap.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

He killed it, if you wanted it you should have killed it with the first shot. Practice, practice, practice, then choose your shots carefully, and practice.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I would have proably ahve given it to you,but it really doesn't sound like you made a kill shot.

To the guy's saying first Blood,you saying if I shot a buck low brisket and it travels 400 yards and some guy double lungs it, I should claim that deer?

My thoughts exactly, regarding Rambo theory.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 AM

if the deer died shortly after you shot it then it would be yours. however, since both of you made bad shots and he had the final shot, it is his for the taking.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: MN BUCKHUNTER

When he first bedded down within 20 yds of where i shot there was a couple bubbles in the blood. Is it possible that part of my slub fragmented and hit part of the lung or nicked the heart?
Its possible you could have "nicked" the lung but the deer ran 600 yards after the second shot! The deer clearly is not your because w/o the second shot that put it in even more pain, the deer might be in another state going. Also, were you using a Bow? If so that was a dumb shot to take at 55 yards
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

I gotta go with the guy who brought it down. This scenario is exactly why i always try for the high shoulder shot when ever possible. Some people say it wastes too much meat, but not as much as giving up the whole deer! I like to put them down where they stand or as close to it as possible.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck was dying in the swamp when he shot him. HE could harldy make it out of hte cattails. The bottom of the brisket where Ishot him firstwas shattered and the blood was a darkish red in some areas doesnt that meen a artery hit or internal bleeding. Ill put up pics.
There was definately no artery hit. If there were, he would have been lucky to make it 50 yards. The buck belongs to the person who put it down permanently. I would suggest both of you practice your shooting skills.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

I shot once and he shot once, and then the final shot as she tried to get up in the cattails. Do you think my shot would have been lethal since he bled for so long
SHE??? The picture/story is of a buck? hmm...I believe the deer should be tagged by the other hunter as well. On the hoof=fair game.

Quick Reply: WHO'S Deer IS IT??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.