Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WHO'S Deer IS IT??

Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Default WHO'S Deer IS IT??

OK last weekened i had an 11 pointer come to the grunt call. I shot him quartering away at about 55 yards. He bedded down with in 20 yds but when i walked over to look for blood he took off. There was blood in the bed, but he ran over to another guys stand. He shot when the buck was facing directly away into the back. The buck dropped in his tracks but when we approached it he took off. IT turned out his shot had no exit wound and never entered the vitals, itwent in and then deflected and went straight along the back never breaking the back bone. the deer had a slow but continuous blood stream (Small drops here and there) for probably 500-600 yds. One spot there was a thick cuagulated clump of dark blood right after i jumped him by my stand the first time. We saw the buck standing in the middle of a field and then it went into a swamp didnt run or anything. We circled the swamp and they drove it towards me. The second guy who shot after me downed the buck as it tried to run out from the cattails at about 5 yds. Whos buck is it? My shot hit behind the front leg about an inch back, but low andbroke the bottom of the rib cage or brisket, but didnt really enter the rib cage, possibly a little on the bottom. The long blood trail was from my shot because his didnt have any exit wound. Would my shot have been lethal, think it hit an artery, would it have caused internal bleedingor what do you think happenrd. So whos deer do you think it is? He had the final kill shot at 5 yds as it tried to escape its bed in the cattails, but i had the first shot and the one that caused the blood trail.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM

Default RE: WHO'S Deer IS IT??

THE GUY WHO DOWNED IT ,IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE YOUR SHOT WAS LETHAL
Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

His.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:20 PM

The buck was dying in the swamp when he shot him. HE could harldy make it out of hte cattails. The bottom of the brisket where Ishot him firstwas shattered and the blood was a darkish red in some areas doesnt that meen a artery hit or internal bleeding. Ill put up pics.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say it's his. In my opinion, the first person to make a lethal shot--or what would reasonably been assumed to be a lethal shot. Your shot doesn't sound lethal. Perhaps it was, but without having given the bedded deer time to expire if it was lethal, you forfeited that deer.

Who ended up tagging it? Who kept it?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have heardthree schools of thought on this subject. If the deer is "On the hoof" it is fair game. First to draw blood and,The other was first lethal hit claims the deer. I have hadthis situation come up and I willnot argue or fight over a deer in those cases.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

First off, if the deer ran by another guys stand that close to you, you need to find a new place to hunt. If that is not an option, I would start shooting deer high (about 4" below the back line) in the shoulders, where the neck, spine and shoulders all come together. They will always drop on the spot where they get hit. No running off past another guys stand. If you had hit him right, you should have waited at least 20 minutes for the deer to bleed out, thus avoiding the situation also. It is difficult to see a deer go down in sight and not think he is dead. It happened to me once with the bow and the gun.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would agree with the above its whoever killed it.It soundsthere is a whole bunch of people in your area who need serious shooting lessons. How many rounds did you all throw at that deer? Also make sure you give your deer more time after you pop him to either die or stiffen up.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 PM

My Shot(PIC)

Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The guy that shot the buck in the cattails. I doubt that the buck would have died from the description of your shot, low and didn't enter the rib cage. You should have aimed higher.

Quick Reply: WHO'S Deer IS IT??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.