Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Old 11-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Hello to all, in the merry land of firearms. If I had one wish it would be a giant personal armory filled with weapons and to have nothing in the world to do but cherish them in every way possible. Unfortunatly, firearms are expensive... very... expensive.
I've loved firearms all of my short life (I'm only fourteen, but I consider myself a bit more... intelligent... than the average fourteen-year-old), and generally understand them, but I'm not very in tune with the current market. Actually, I'm not in tune to any market other than the Soviet Mosin-Nagant market, of which I am a connoisseur.

Now that my introduction is finished, I present to you my problem:

I live in semi-rural Kentucky, prime deer hunting land, and I am on a VERY tight budget. I won't say the specifics, but it is very tight. All of my life I've borrowed firearms from family or friends of family, be it a bolt action 12 gauge deer rifle or a .300 WinMag. I hate borrowing things... anything, really. A pencil from a classmate, money from friends, or a rifle from family. I like being independant and self sufficient. It's about time I purchase my own rifle so I can stop pestering everyone else. What do you recommend, specifically? Recoil does not matter in the slightest, I will shoot anything. Take into account where I live, with many rolling hills and a mix of thick forest and open farm plots. Also take into account the cost of the cartridges. I am not opposed to muzzleloaders. Please do not reccomend youth-only rifles, unless it's just a wonderful rifle for the money. I honestly find them to be a little bit lighter and smaller than I prefer.

As a final thought, wish me luck, I'm heading into the woods tomorrow morning for that elusive buck!

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

try the savage package deals they come with a scope. the prices vary from the calibur you want. and even vary if you want wood or synthetic (I perfer sythetic less maintenance) I bought mine with a box of ammo and a sling for under 300 about 4 years ago the prices are about the same now.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walmart has a Remington 710 (i think is what they call it) 30.06 is probably the cheapest I'd guess. Plus you can take about anything with it.

Good luck

Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM

I can't find any packages, after plenty of searching. I can find individual rifles, but no packages. I've already looked into the Savage Stevens Model 200, which is currently my best bet.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

I also say go with the Savage rifle/scope package. I bought my Savage .270 package for $399 about 3 years ago at a gun shop. Check Wal-Mart, they are usually a little cheaper as they buy in a bigger bulk = so they sell for a little less.Not sure for the cost of round comparrison but I pay under $20 for a box of Rem core lokt ammo for the .270 which isn't bad imo. Figure 10 rounds sighting it in and still have enough ammo to shoot 10 deer! Good luck to you!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bass Pro has a sale going on now for a Rem. camo, cheap scope choice of caliber for about $375. If that is too high then the H&R breech load with a cheaper scope is a nice rifle.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 PM

try a 243. you can usually find a good packaged deal with a scope for a very reasonable price. they are light, accurate at most distances, and over all a pretty good deer rifle.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Check the local gun shops and pawn shops. You might can find a used gun with a good scope at a great price. Look in the classified ads in your paper also.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Walmart has a Remington 710 (i think is what they call it) 30.06 is probably the cheapest I'd guess. Plus you can take about anything with it.

Good luck

Read some reviews before you decide to buy the 710. Not good. I don't own one but there is a reason for that.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 AM

SAVAGE MODEL 111 PACKAGE

Quick Reply: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.