Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

New England Arms .270 w/ scope, well under 300.00$ I have owned mine for seven years approx., and have put it through hell and back. It drives tacks. Single shot.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

go to wal-mart and get a marlin 336w (that's a .30-30). it's a good little gun and has decent range. or go to a dick's sporting goods and get a marlin 336w with a scope already mounted for $30 more. i got the wal-mart one and didn't get a scope because i needed a brush gun. you'll be glad you got it.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

what you can't say dick's? it's a name. a nickname for richard. maybe Dick's?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

what the hell? what if someone's name was Dick? I know several Dicks. This is confusing. sorry kid, but i've got to get to the bottom of this.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

how about the mossberg line of rifles? relatively inexpensive. i know next to nothing about the quality tho. otherwise, get an nef rifle. you can buy various rifle and shotgun barrels for it as you go along
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of good suggestions here. The cheapest options are probably either buying one you've been borrowing, or finding a good one used somewhere.

But, it's hard to overcome the idea of having a new rifle (especially if you have your eye on a specific caliber). The Savages do have a solid, no-nonsense reputation. I've heard nothing but bad reviews on the Remington 710 and 770, but haven't even handled one myself. The ATR got off to a rough start, but I hear that quality has improved since the original run. Again, no familiarity with the XL-7, but if it's up to Marlin's usual quality, you shouldn't have any issues.

The best "cheap rifle" I ever bought was the Wal-Mart Variety Weatherby Vanguard. Way too many calibers to choose from, puts three rounds into a ragged hole at 100 yards, for less than $400.

One caution on "package" guns. You'll likely replace the optics within the first five years - either frustrated by poor quality or it purely fails. One will sure get you started, but have a plan to upgrade your glass.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check last week sales circular for Dickssportingoods. There was a sale on the Savage 111 package for $329 ( i believe). It comes in a 270 which would fit your hunting area and the ammo is inexpensive on that cartridge
Ibought the savage package several years ago in 243 and I am very pleased with it.

That being said, A buddy and i just went to a pawn shop recently where he picked up a 2007 Rem 700 with scope in 270for $325. The gun was so clean we thought it was new (he sells lots of new guns too). The gun shoots great
Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Several weeks ago I bought the Savage 111 package in .30-06 at "Richards" Sporting Goods that DannyD mentioned, same price. Replaced the bases/rings immediately (the clerk actually broke a base screw & ring screw trying to put them on, and he wasn't overtorquing) with steel ones that use the torx head screws. Will probably replace the scope as well before '09 deer season. Clarity of the package scope actually ain't too bad, but I don't trust that it will hold up long-term. No real loss, as the package deal was cheaper than the rifle alone.

First brand new rifle I've ever bought (could very well be the last, hence the versatile .30-06 chambering), quite pleased with it so far. Compared with a bunch of other rifles at various retailers & gun shops, and really felt it was the best value. Action is very smooth & locks up tight, good fit & finish, decent trigger (Tip- bring a snap cap in the caliber you want, so they'll let you try the triggers). Really liked the Marlin 336 as well, but wanted a bit more punch than the .30-30 in case I ever get a crack at bears or elk. The mid- to high-range Remingtons sure seem like great rifles as well, though they come with a mid- to high-range price. Shouldered a couple Rugers (77, I think?) that were nice. Weatherby rifles seem like a really good deal, but the proprietary ammo bothered me a bit. Couldn't find much wrong with the Mossberg ATR I handled either, though the action didnt' seem quite as smooth. Had a nice trigger though. Didn't get a chance to handle an NEF Handi-Rifle, but I owned an NEF Sidekick (muzzleloader) that was a really solid gun for what I paid, had an excellent trigger. If you don't mind single-shots & have a local dealer, they'd be worth checking out.

Actually, I think I'd be perfectly happy with any of above. The only model I immediately crossed off the list after checking out was the Remington 770- sticky action & dreadful trigger.

Milsurps are always a possibility, I've had several myself. Before buying one as a dedicated hunting rifle, I'd want to actually shoot it though. Back when I was 18 I bought two Enfield .303's at Swallens for $59 apiece. One was a pretty good shooter & took a number of deer before it developed a crack in the receiver & was retired. The other would literally not stay on an 8" pie plate at 50 paces, regardless of ammo brand/type.

For what it's worth, my 111 isn't very particular about ammo. Shoots the cheap stuff (Coreloct, Powershok, etc.) as tight as the expensive stuff (Hornady custom, Ballistic Silvertips).
Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Buy a cva 50 caliber muzzeloader for around 120 dollers for the gun and a starter kit for around 30 dollers and you have a good that will kill a deer for under 200 dollers check cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20815&id=0027579215456a&navCount=2& podId=0027579&parentId=cat20815&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20815&has JS=true
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55486_425010001_425000000_425010000_425-10-1 this also

Quick Reply: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.