Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions >

Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions

CFO (chief financial officer my wife). To buy a new gun, so "I'm Lookin" for a deer slug gun! Any Suggestions? I always liked the 870, but what else is out there?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions

I have an 870 with fully rifled barrel (the one with sights on it) Then I have a scope mount that allows you to use the scope or the sights. The scope is by simmons and has the diamond reticle. Its a tack driver and honestly I always went to it instead of a rifle when I lived where I could hunt with a rifle. 120 yards is no problem for it. Although I've never needed to shoot it that far.

I'm not saying other guns aren't nice but I can't imagine much better than my 870.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870. Fully Rifled Barrel. Cantilever Scope Mount. Phenominally Reliable. Tried. Tested. True. End of story IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrikeTrue

Remington 870. Fully Rifled Barrel. Cantilever Scope Mount. Phenominally Reliable. Tried. Tested. True. End of story IMO.

I agree 100%. Mine doesn't have the Cantilever scope mount. But I put a saddle mount on mine and it works great...
Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I knocked down a BIG doe w/ my buddies 870 last year, that's y I was leaning that way! I also heard a few good things about the Mossberg.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:51 AM

If your looking to spend a little more the 870 is a good choice, if your just looking for a slug gun to shoot one week a year the mossberg 500 is a slug slinger too.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Remington 870 and 1187 plus a Mossberg 500 slug guns. If I was going to buy a new one today I'd look real hard at the NEF Ultra Slug Hunters in 20 gauge. Matter of fact when this deer season is over I'm going to sell off my slug guns and buy one. Then I'll have one slug gun and my muzzleloaders to hunt with.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I've got a Remington 870 and 1187 plus a Mossberg 500 slug guns. If I was going to buy a new one today I'd look real hard at the NEF Ultra Slug Hunters in 20 gauge. Matter of fact when this deer season is over I'm going to sell off my slug guns and buy one. Then I'll have one slug gun and my muzzleloaders to hunt with.
i have the h and r ultra slug 20 guage -- same company - has the big bull barrel on it -- flat out shoots !! great gun
Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Mossberg 835 Turkey/Deer Combo. Slug barrell is a rifled 24" barrell with a cantilever scope mount, I love it. Very tough gun and shoots well, minimal recoil. Wouldnt trade that gun for any other.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going to get the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12 ga. for next season. I would definitely consider this as an option. I have read and heard many good things about this gun...and it only $250 brand new. Can't beat it. Some drawbacks-very heavy because of the bull barrel, and its only a single shot so if your a guy who needs more than one shot it might not be the one for you.

I currently have the 870 and I'm not really happy with it. I think it's because I have a red dot scope on it instead of a shotgun/muzzleloader scope. I haven't been able to get very good groups with it, and you have to re-sight it in everytime you change your barrel. Like BUCKMARK, I have the saddle mount but I havn't had the same success as he has with it. I would recommend getting a cantilever barrel with it if you are planning on switching out the barrels.

I have a friend that just bought the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Deer Combo. It comes drilled and tapped so you can put a scope on it and IMO it would be better than the 870 with a saddle mount. He is pretty happy with his purchase. I think he got it for just over $300 for just the gun.

Quick Reply: Got the GO AHEAD from CFO!!!! Any Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.