Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Favorite ATV (the good post)

Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Favorite ATV (the good post)

Well I don't do much racing in the deer woods butif that is what you wanna do then have at it.I prefer something that can really pull. Put a big Polaris twin in low range and THAT is pulling, climbing and crawlingpower.

I never thought about it before but have to wonder if any of my venison is spoiling having to take so long to get out of the woods?

I have to look into something, some way to get some more speed. There is no way I can tolerate any spoilage.

Nitrous? Supercharger? Turbo? I gotta do some research.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Well I don't do much racing in the deer woods butif that is what you wanna do then have at it.I prefer something that can really pull. Put a big Polaris twin in low range and THAT is pulling, climbing and crawlingpower.

I never thought about it before but have to wonder if any of my venison is spoiling having to take so long to get out of the woods?

I have to look into something, some way to get some more speed. There is no way I can tolerate any spoilage.

Nitrous? Supercharger? Turbo? I gotta do some research.
With the Can-Am Outlander 800 it has more torque and more HP, than any of the Polaris. So I'm pretty sure it can out pull it as well.

Don't get me wrong I like Polaris but the spec's on the Can-Am's are amazing. For the Price you can't be a Polaris and I'll give you that.

They have a great product for the price. Only downside I can see to Can-Am's is the aluminum body and the hefty pricetag. I'm curious

to see what would happen to them if you wrecked.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM

actually, i prefer Polaris over any but you dont have it listed so whatever.

and by the way, this is the deer hunting section of the forums, correct?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you this. More power does not = superior pulling power.

If there is enough power the tires will simply spin and give less traction than a tire hooking up. More weight on the tires = more traction all things givin.

Back to what I was saying about the smaller quads actually being better for hunting and getting deer out of the woods. When we had a Bruin 4X4in camp that rode 3 guys (one each rack and rider) and pulled 3 deer easily - across a wet field that would sink a boot 6"+ walking it.

That same Bruin was used to hul some pretty decent deadfalls up to the barnyard for fires. But I tell you Polaris 700 in low range pulled some giagantic oaks up to the yard 2 at a time. When I first tried out the low range I thought it was a bit TOO low. But pulling things like the oaks and stuck ATVs made me think the gear is great.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM

The traction is a small problem with the bigger Can-Am's, Thats why I want the Outlander 400. My buddy has a Bruin 300 as well, but its not my style. It's nice and quiet but tends to get stuck climbing hills and well that thing is just out right too slow for me.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

honda does this to all other atvs
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Outlander 400 seems like a nice ride.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Polaris sportsman is the best ATV I have ever owned.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got a torn rear inner CV boot courtesy of a corn stalk a few weeks ago. I replaced the boot and when working under there could see how easily something (especially corn stalks) could go straight up and bang those inner boots. I saw some bolt on guards but didn't want bolts under there. Just something to hang up or come loose so I fabricated some plates to close up the main opening in the lower A-arms. Made a few trial and error templates out of cardboard until I got the size just right. Transferred them to some 1/16" sheet, cut them out, filed,radiused and smoothed them and shot them with a coat of black. Let them dry and stich-welded them on. Let the welds cool and hit the welds with some more black.

BINGO! They look great and not those stalks won't botherthose inner boots anymore. I took some pics if anyone is intrested.

I might fab up some small ones for the outer boots - there is a small opening there butits really close to the tire. We'll see about those. But after deer season the front will get some also.