Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shotgun guys.............

Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun guys.............

I tried all of the Lightfields, and none of them shot well in my gun ( Browning Gold 12 gauge). The Browning shoots the Hornady'sexcellent though, and clover leafs at 75 yards with them. All guns are different, you just have to find the slugs that perform the best in your particular gun.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 870 wingmaster with a hastings (1:34" twist) w/ a cantilever mount andan aimpoint redot up top. I have tried EVERY slug out there ans the hybred elites by far goup the best in my gun. at 50 yards its a ragged one hole group. and at 125 yards 1.5-2" groups are pretty regular. but they are a maximum expansion slug and at close range they fly apart in deer
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the replies, but yea three inch probably isn't necessary, but i want to put em down even if it is over kill lol. ive always heard good things about these slugs, cant wait to send one flyin at a biggun this year(hopefully)... take that back, i hope i have arrowed a biggun by then!!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the lightfields 2 3/4 white box. I have gotten great results with them
Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

im tryin the lightfield hybred elite 3in this year, after having no luck with winchesters xp3s at 20$ a box. anyone had good luck with the lightfields?
What do you mean No luck with Win XP3's at $20a box?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I havent used the Lightfields....I really have no reason to try anything but the hornaday sst 300gr in my 12gauge. They shoot just excellent at 100yrds. Im sure each gun is going to like a certain one more than the other. Most all of the hornaday ammo i have tried i have been pleased with.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 AM

I disagree I've had plenty of luck with partition golds maybe it's your gun.
ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I had the same experience with Winchester shells. They're straight garbage! I love Remington so I'll support them by buying their shells. And my 11-87 loves them.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

can anyone tell me how to do the quote thing?? cause idk lol. but wat i meant by no luck with the xp3's at 20$ a box was that i couldn't get a group inside of 4-5 inches at 100 yards, and that theyre way to expensive for that. i have had good luck with the partition golds, i hunted with them year before last and they dropped my biggest buck, a small 8pt, with one shot straight through the heart.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Like I said, both of those rounds are high speed loads, try something closer to 1500-1700 fps and I bet things work out better for you. The twist in your barrel is most likely more suited to a slower heavier bullet. Most of these guns were origingally designed to shoot a one ounce full bore slug at around 1500 fps. Both remington and winchester make slower 1 ounce loads with the newer style bullets. The Federal expanders with the Barnes bullets are pretty good performers as well. I couldn't get any of them to group well in my gun either though. I didn't have much luck with lightfields in my H&R, but others seem to. I didn't try that particular load though.

And a three inch load isn't going to do any more damage to a deer than a 2 3/4 inch will. As a matter of fact some of the 2 3/4 inch loads are faster than some of the 3 inch loads. You really need to look at the specs. All the faster rounds will do is give you a flatter trajectory for slightly longer shots. Doesn't do you much good though if they don't group well at those longer distances.

Paul
Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot the lightfelds and love them ..they are very accurate out of my remingtion 870 20 gauge

Quick Reply: shotgun guys.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.