HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shotgun guys.............
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: shotgun guys.............

Like I said, both of those rounds are high speed loads, try something closer to 1500-1700 fps and I bet things work out better for you. The twist in your barrel is most likely more suited to a slower heavier bullet. Most of these guns were origingally designed to shoot a one ounce full bore slug at around 1500 fps. Both remington and winchester make slower 1 ounce loads with the newer style bullets. The Federal expanders with the Barnes bullets are pretty good performers as well. I couldn't get any of them to group well in my gun either though. I didn't have much luck with lightfields in my H&R, but others seem to. I didn't try that particular load though.

And a three inch load isn't going to do any more damage to a deer than a 2 3/4 inch will. As a matter of fact some of the 2 3/4 inch loads are faster than some of the 3 inch loads. You really need to look at the specs. All the faster rounds will do is give you a flatter trajectory for slightly longer shots. Doesn't do you much good though if they don't group well at those longer distances.

Paul