Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shoot or walk

Old 11-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shoot or walk

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

if it's legal game, don't let what anyone says on here get to you.
exactly. shoot what makes you happy.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

My first deer was a button buck so i have no problem with it, however now that I have a lot more experience and have taken a lot of game i let them walk everytime, no matter what. But for your first deer dont worry about it, its awesome.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have let it walk if I knew it was a button buck, but I have killed little bucks thinking they were does. It happens don't feel bad. I felt so bad I wouldn't even take a picture of it, now I regret it because its the only one I don't have that memory of. A deer of any size is an accomplishment to be proud of. So hold your head up even if its a button buck.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM

No questions man! Don't be ashamed of that button head...Everyone starts somewhere. Don't let someone else determine what is a trophy to you. Way to go!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

We're covered up in deer down here, and mama wants her freezer filled.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll shoot a doe, not a button buck, perhaps a doe fawn, but really I only look for mature does.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Spike

I said shoot it. Mainly because I seen that you are 14 and it was your first deer. I'm 35 and I just started hunting last year. I was lucky enough to take my first deer with a bow this season. It was a little tiny doe. Maybe only 50 pounds is all. Now that I have a couple in the freezer I wouldn't shoot one that small again, but I don't feel bad for taking it. Even though it was a tiny little thing, it is still a trophey to me. I was so happy after hunting hard with a bow all last season and not getting anything.
Don't let some of the guys on here get to you. You now have meat in the freezer and you can be a little more picky.
Keep hunting and have fun with it!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM

You remember how I told you that my button buck was the one I was most proud of? I thought I'd been shooting a doe as well. Prefer the meat to the horns. I was very proud of that deer as I was 35 weeks pregnant and not only had worked 52 hours that week, but also had hunted during my spare time. Got that deer on the evening of the 6th day. I knew it was a fawn, but didn't know he was packing jewels until I got up to him. Be proud! Oh, and my first deer was a doe, so at least your first one was a buck! Now that you've got some of the first deer jitters out, you can start looking for the big ones.

Would I shoot a button buck again? Heck yeah!All themeat was so tender. I'd rather have30 lbs of fawn meat than 120 lbs of old buck.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoot it. I only have a small spot to hunt, pretty much just enough room for one stand. I may see 1 deer every two weeks or so. I pretty much take whatever I have a good shot at.

In fact, I got a button buck last Sunday with my muzzleloader. I'm more than happy with it.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes attention to detail[X(]but if it were a choice between a button buck or a doe i would take the doe for sure but when i shot my first i had no clue he was a button buck

Quick Reply: shoot or walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.