Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shoot or walk

Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shoot or walk

I would have passed and let him grow up some more.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

i didnt realize it was your first deer as well. man be proud. dnt let any1 tell you thata you shoudnt be. my first was a small yearling. second was a button buck. if i kill a button buck even know( after many years and many deer) im still proud. a deer of any kind is something to be proud of. anybody who tells you differently needs to reevaluate their thought process.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

id let it walk.... he may be a giant on down the road.. plus he is young give em a chance ya know!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remingtonshooter1, it sounds like you are feeling a little guilty now about shooting your button buck. Don't worry about it. I promise, you are not the first hunter who has mistakenly shot a bb for a doe. I have shot a few button bucks in my earlier days.You asked if we would shoot a bb. Most of us would not, but most of us have been hunting a whole lot longer than you. This is your first deer. As long as it was legal, be proud of it. Maybe next time you can make sure it is not a bb, but if you kill another one, it's not the end of the world. Good luck and bag a big one.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your situation as a beginner, it's blast away and be proud.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your happy that's all that matters. Congrats on your first of many deer!!

Not directed at the poster or any one particular just a general comment(devil's advocate). How many who say pass a BB would also pass a antlered buck that is immature? Say a 3 year old 4x4?? Neither deer has reached its potential or matured, correct?If your going to preach about let em go n' let em grow you should also be passing on this situation!! Before you jump on my back please refer to my first statement, as I view it as if your happy I'm happy for you. However if you cast stones better not live in a glass house.

For the record or the pollI would pass the button buck and I also pass immature buck. If it means tag soup I'm fine with it b/c its my hunt and I make the rules, I wouldn't be happy with shooting an immature buck so why do it just fill a tag or say "yep got my buck"!

Personal choice that's all...it's what we make of it that counts..nothing more. We as hunters evolve, though we shouldn't expect others to be on the same page as us. Evolution could be bigger rack orit could be better meat. Nor should we forget where we started.It's the thrill of the hunt that drives us be it a buck, doe or just getting out.............IT'S ALL GOOD!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM

My first was a 55lb yearling doe that I shot when I was 22 years old. I'm not gonna say I'm proud of it, but it was my first and I wouldn't have passed it up. Here in Louisiana, unless you're on a management area and there is a bucks only season in progress, anything without spots is legal. A button buck can easily be mistaken for a doe and being your first kill, it is easy to not realize how small a deer is. Personally, now I will not shoot anything that looks like it's less than 100 lbs. By then if it is a buck you should be able to see the antlers clearly therefore avoiding shooting the button bucks
Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

I put let it walk. But that is after taking deer consistently for awhile. When your young...and Ill get crap for saying this but when your young, if its brown its down....waiting for big deer is somehting you learnas you get older and kill more deer. I would never have passed that shot at your age either!
-Jake
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

JMO...I would let it walk.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm strictly a meat hunter, and my state classes button bucks as "antlerless" deer, which we have way too many of here. Dumb deer taste just as good as smart ones, that slick goes down if I see it and it looks worth the drag out.

Quick Reply: shoot or walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.