Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Arkansas Youth Hunt!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Arkansas Youth Hunt!

Well it started off Sunday morning after a week at disney world. We were all tired but got up early to go after some deer. My 5 year old girl has been itching to go get her a deer. We practiced with a .22 at the range several times and she could hit a coke can at 50 yards. Sunday morning arrived very early for us. We weren't in the stand more than 10 minutes and we had a several doe deer come out and feed in the food plot. This was a new stand for us to try and hunt. It was awkward as the stand was set up for an adult but not a child. I had her sit in my lap and we tried to get her on the deer but we were just too short. After playing musical chairs and me standing behind her resting the gun butt in my chest, she guided the scope to the deer. She said she had her in the cross hairs and shot. I saw dirt fly up in the air and knew she missed. The deer just stood there so we reloaded. It was stading 70 yards away and went back to feeding. Well then my phone started ringing out of my pocket as everyone wanted to know if we connected. We tried to get another shot off but the doe finally got nervous and left.
After eating a good lunch and helping other camp members move a couple stands we set out to hunt another stand. This time I made sure and brought enough cushions to elevate us up in the stand so she could see in my lap better. We were there about 45 minutes before the first deer showed up in the food plot. My girl decided to nap while waiting for the deer to work closer to us and out of the branch that obscured them. Thirty minutes later a doe came running into the food plot right in front of us 65 yards away. I put the gun up and got the scope on the deer for her. She took over and I helped adjust the rifle left and right. After several adjustments I nervously asked her was she on it. She said I am on the head daddy :doh:. I said well don't shoot it there. So, I helped move the rifle left, right, up and down finally she said okay dad I am ready. I said okay and she let the 22-250 bark. The deer dropped in its tracks. We were so excited. The phone went to buzzing and we were letting everyone know she did it. Autumn got her first deer. I started my oldest off at 7 y/o and I think that Autumn is gonna giver her a run for her money with deer hunting. I borrowed the rifle to use on the youth deer hunt but I guess I am gonna have to get Autumn one of her own. :clap:

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Arkansas Youth Hunt!

wow!!! Great job to the little lady!!! Very nice looking deer as well! Keep them interested in it!!!
-Jake
Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

god job
Old 11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice doe. congrats