Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Easy winter?????

Old 01-22-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Easy winter?????

Am I safe to assume that since we, around here anyway, are having a mild winter that the deer herd should be bigger next year than normal. I know that winter isn`t over yet but if all stays the same, shouldn`t more deer survive for next year?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Easy winter?????

It will help the deer herd out. Here in Pa we have had VERY easy winters for about 4 or 5 years in a row. The deer's bodies are bigger, the herd is larger, and the antlers are bigger. Heck, I think that it was two or three years ago that we only got a total of 8 inches of snow the entire winter. It should make the hunting a little bit better.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

badluck you are very safe in assuming that, anyplace the winter is mild the deer population skyrockets, the bad part about this is if the following winter is a hard one and not enough deer were killed to offset the increase you could wind up with a smaller herd the following year because of a huge lack of food.

The Tazman
Old 01-22-2002, 05:49 PM

It's still early yet we still have 6 or 7 more weeks of cold weather. It was hot though this deer season. I only wore my heavy coveralls twice during the whole season. I don't think cold bothers the deer here in the south because of the lack of deep snow. I have read about the deer yarding in the north though.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Smoke says it aint over yet .I've saw it snow 40" in one night so anything can happen .That year there was dead deer everywhere in the spring. Really took a toll on the deer herd .