Then again all the deer behind the house arent the biggest ever. but enough to get you excited!!!..." />

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot or dont Shoot???

Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Shoot or dont Shoot???

I hav a buck behind the house that i keep seeing, but its a small body deer with a nice 7pt. wide rack( about 15in. wide)

What to do?? what to do???

Then again all the deer behind the house arent the biggest ever. but enough to get you excited!!!

The does are about the same size as the bucks.

so IDK???
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shoot or dont Shoot???

How many bucks have you killed?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

If the freezer is empty you could always harvest a nice eater doe until you see something better come your way as far as horns are concerned. I am pretty much a meat hunter who can only hunt a few times during the season so I take what I can get as long as it's mature. Now if I could hunt the whole season I might wait for a slammer but I can't. Fill the freezer first then horn hunt is my advice.

Mack
Old 11-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

If you have killed a bigger buck then you might want to hold off. If thats the biggest buck, then take him down.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see a few deer in my yard on a regular basis, I haven't ever thought of hunting them asI really enjoy watching them, the wife and I sit out there just about every evening (sippin a adult beverage)and watch them....Now, if I were having an off year and the freezer were low, I would take a doe to fill the freezer and keep looking for the big one in the back yard...That's what I do, keep looking for big boy but he has yet to appear back there.....Last time I went to my hunting property I had 4 doe back by my shop watching me pack my hunting stuff in the truck at 30yds, Icame home empty handed from our hunting propertyand was asking myself why I left to hunt...
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I had a very similar experience this morning when a nice 8 point came up. It took a while for me to see his body mass...when I did it was too late. I thought S**t I should have taken him. A buddy of mine said....the best way to measure a deer is on the ground...but followed up with..you did the right thing. He will be there again...maybe...I hunt on public only so that is a big maybe.....
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM

It sounds to me like you are referring to a young deer. If it were me, I'd give him a chance to get a few more years on him. You would be really surprised what just one year's difference can make on the set of antlers a buck sports.

If you are after the meat and there are does available, then I'd take one of those.

By the way, what part of Elmore are you in? My parents live in Tallassee and I hunt in Reeltown (Tallapoosa).
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 PM

I guess i will wait. seeing as how i have killed bigger, but its been a while.

The last buck i killed was two years ago and it was on the last day of season, and it was a 120lb 5 point.

So that 7 pointer is sounding good.

ill keep yall posted. i wont shootem unless he walks right in front of my stand.( so i split the poll 50/50)

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Give him another year. Think how much bigger he'll be.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let him grow.....shoot the does.