Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

calling to a buck

Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Default calling to a buck

The last two days I've had three different bucks within a hundred yards,and one I grunted to tucked tail and ran. He was about mid 130". And then this morning Ihad a 120" buck andused a doe bleat
with the same effect!! What gives? Any Ideas?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calling to a buck

It sounds to me like those deer have been called to before and missed or perhaps they're already used to hunters calling to them-either way,an educated deer,unless you're not calling correctly.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM

well form what i have exeperience is that once the deer is there you dont grunt you only grunt if your wanting one to come in or wanting on to stop for ex. if one is runing by in most cases if you grunt the deer will stop long enough for you to get a shot off!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

try using a grunt tube instead of the doe bleat. i have more sucess with a buck grunt than any other calls or scents.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Ohio and I've started calling over the past few days and had deer come in every time. I called in a couple of bucks that were very nice, just a bit too small in my book. There is a technique in calling. You can't just grunt esp. if the deer's close to you. It'll hear it coming from above it unless your hunting on the ground, and it will spook. I had the problem in my first year of hunting. I'd grunt at every deer, and I'd spook some of them. Got to use those calls right.