Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok >

Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Default RE: Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

From http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

Scent Lok has claimed that their suits remove enough human perspiration odors from a person wearing their suits that deer cannot smell a person wearing their suits. They have also claimed that deer smell better than dogs.
Research shows that deer have up to 297 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ (that detects scents/odors) in the room of their mouth. Dogs have up to 220 million olfactory receptors in the nose, plus a vomeronasal organ. Humans have up to 5 million olfactory receptors in the nose, but no vomeronasal organ.

If the number of olfactory receptors in the nose of an animal is any indication of its ability to detect scents, then deer have a better sense of smell than dogs, and could have detected the humans wearing activated carbon suits in the Shivik study.

In a test with search dogs, by JA Shivik, Ph.D., forty-two people were hidden from Colorado search and rescue dogs. Twenty-one of the people wore activated carbon suits; twenty-one did not. The dogs found all twenty-one people who didn't wear activated carbon suits, and twenty of the people who wore activated carbon suits. There was no noticeable difference in the time it took the dogs to find the humans. It took the dogs 2.7 minutes to detect the humans who were not wearing activated carbon suits, and 3.4 minutes to find the humans who were wearing activated carbon suits.

Shivik's report states, "That the dogs detected humans wearing the suit indicates that the system failed to prevent detection of human odors." Since deer have a sense of smell equal to if not better than dogs, it is safe to assume that deer would have detected the humans too.

The report adds, "The suits are probably not worth the cost to researchers or managers who want to approach canids undetected." They probably aren't worth $150 to $300 to hunters either, if they can't keep deer from detecting the hunters. You can view this article at this address http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/annpub2002.html, by scrolling down to report number "02-93 Shivik" and downloading the PDF file.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

you need to tell t.r. how you feel. i bet he will be over come with emotions.

i don't think i have ever read a post of your that didn't start with t.r. says... you must be in love with him
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 AM

If you bought an activated carbon product (clothing, boots, blinds etc.) from any company, and feel you were misled, misinformed or lied to - about if and how activated carbon works, contact the link to the lawyers below. Anyone - anywhere - can now be included in this lawsuit.
The address of the lawyers is:
[blockquote]"Heins Mills & Olson P.L.C. is a national law firm that represents businesses and consumers in complex cases involving anti-competitive agreements and fraudulently marketed or labeled products. [/blockquote]
[blockquote]The consumer protection attorneys at Heins Mills & Olson are investigating consumer complaints involving odor-eliminating clothing manufacturered by A.L.S Enterprises, Inc. (a.k.a. "Scent-Lok"), Cabela's Inc., Gander Mountain Co., Bass Pro Shops, Inc., and Browning Arms Co. [/blockquote]
[blockquote]Consumers have alleged that these companies defrauded the public by misrepresenting the efficacy of their products and the ability to regenerate the odor-eliminating properties of their products.[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Submit Your Complaint [/blockquote]
If you believe that your odor-eliminating clothing has failed to perform as advertised, please click here ([email protected]) to contact an attorney at Heins Mills & Olson experienced in consumer cases. There is no charge or obligation for our review of your case.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

That's a pretty good tracking dog for sure but that video really proves nothing. Those guys are out to discredit scent lok clothes and that's fine but we have no real idea if the guy took a scentless shower, put on regular deodorant or not, kept his boots outside or just took them out of his closet and put them on and went through the woods. You can set up anything to be discredited. All I know is this. When I take a good scentfree shower, wash my clothes in scentfree detergent, keep my clothes stored in a realatively scentfree bag, use good scent spray, and take all the little steps to hide my scent along with wearing scent lok clothes I will not get busted. I have done all of the things above and have sat in a ground blind and had deer walk by me downwind less then 10 yards and they had no idea I existed. Like everyone else says the scent lok suit alone probably isn't the sole reason for this but its a tool that can be used effectively in your scent free regiment. Are their claims erroneous? Probably so but I think the scent lok product ads to your arsenal of scent protection.

Wildlife you need to get a life and do something else. I wish they would kick you off this site.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM

How about the scientific test with 43 people - 42 found, including those wearing activated carbon suits?.

Doesn't that count?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Scrat

Well if Scent Loc doesn't work then I guess I don't put off any odor while in the woods. Monday I was in the tree about 12 feet off the ground(didn't see the limb before I started climbing[:@])a 10 - 15 mphwind at my back and 12 does walked downwind from mefrom and didn't even look my way, as if I wasn't even there. Boy I am glad this stuff doesn't work
I refuse to get involved in the dabate as I have no agenda whatsoever. However, many folks do not understand wind or thermals. I have had many deer downwind of me who didn't bust me- because they didn't smell me. This is not because I was or wasn't using a scent-lok suit, but because the rising thermal carried my scent above their noses.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Good sir, you have made your point. Scent-lok is a sponsor of this site, so I believe you should let this get go. In fact, TR should let it go in at least a dozen other online forums and blogs.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

That's a pretty good tracking dog for sure but that video really proves nothing. Those guys are out to discredit scent lok clothes and that's fine but we have no real idea if the guy took a scentless shower, put on regular deodorant or not, kept his boots outside or just took them out of his closet and put them on and went through the woods. You can set up anything to be discredited. All I know is this. When I take a good scentfree shower, wash my clothes in scentfree detergent, keep my clothes stored in a realatively scentfree bag, use good scent spray, and take all the little steps to hide my scent along with wearing scent lok clothes I will not get busted. I have done all of the things above and have sat in a ground blind and had deer walk by me downwind less then 10 yards and they had no idea I existed. Like everyone else says the scent lok suit alone probably isn't the sole reason for this but its a tool that can be used effectively in your scent free regiment. Are their claims erroneous? Probably so but I think the scent lok product ads to your arsenal of scent protection.

Wildlife you need to get a life and do something else. I wish they would kick you off this site.
I agree with this post. I also want to add something. What idiot wouldeven filea lawsuit against Scent-Locbecause they were smelled by a deer while hunting? I don't useScent-Loc, because I don't have to, but if I did, and I wasbusted by a deerwhile wearing it, I sure as hell wouldn't think aboutfiling a lawsuit against them. That is justrediculous.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Strutter its sad but everyone just wants an excuse to sue. If a fella really believes there is a magic suit that will 100% fool a deers nose then he's a moron. That's just the truth of it.

Wildlife I just think people here have grown tired of you spewing TR's propaganda on an otherwise very informative website.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM

I think in my opinion Mr. T.R. likes to tug his own chain and is posting on every hunting website trying to become famous. In my opinion this if this is not Mr. T.R. posting than if I were T.R. I would sue Mr. WildlifePhoto man for being an idiot and identity theft.

Quick Reply: Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.