Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok >

Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Old 10-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

This thread is entertaining.....
Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 PM

T.R. just sent me this:

(begin T.R's quote)

I found "smaxwell"s thread on Arvhery Talk just now (7:15 CT)

Here is what he posted"

(Quote)

In referece to my earlier post about running my bloodhound on a trail of a person with Scent Lok (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=731108) I ran the trail yesterday. As requested, I made a video. This is take one, first and only Scent Lok trail I ran with the hound. Here are the specs on the test.
- All clothing including socks and underwear washed in Scent Shield detergent for Carbon clothing the night before & dried at high heat for 60 ,min to recharge the carbon, per Scent Lok instructions.

-Washed underclothes and camo sealed in unscented plastic bag. All Scent Lok items (to be put on in the field) sealed in seperate plastic bag.

-My test subject showered with Scent Shield body soap (including washing hair) approx 30 minutes before and used Scent Shield deodorant.

-Camo was put on just before leaving home. Five minute ride in the car, then Scent Lok was taken out sealed bag and put on in the field over the camo. Didn't have Scent Lok gloves (I'd lost one) so used new heavy rubber gloves with camo gloves over them. Rubber boots, almost knee high were worn. Boots, belt, pants and gloves sprayed down with generous amount of new Scent Shield Carbon spray.

-Scent Lok used was Scent Lok classic I purchased three years ago and have recharged maybe 6 times. The Scent Lock full face mask is newer. Scent Lok was put on over the camo .

-Subject was instructed not to remove mask, gloves or any part of the apparel at any time during test.
-This was a blind test...I dropped the test subject off and told him to wait until I left and walk 10 minutes approx in any direction he wanted and to hide. Subject told me on the radio after reaching his hide that he had "made some turns and zig-zags" along the trail. The distance of the trail was just under 1/2 mile.

-Trail was ran after one hour. Hound used was a police trailing Bloodhound. I am her handler. Trail was ran in the San Juan Nat. Forrest (Turkey Creek area) near Pagosa Springs, CO. Temp was 60f, ground was damp from rain night before, humidity 79%, barometer falling, sky was overcast, wind was either nill or 1-2 mph.

View the results below. I tried to go into this with an open mind, not sure exactly what to expect. The Scent Lok appeared to do nothing. You will see in the video that the dog is keeping a tight lead the whole time and she is enthused. The way she ran this trail indicated to me that she not only had the scent but had a strong scent. She runs a weak trail scent much different, much slower and methodical. A few times you see her turn around or circle, this usually means that she over ran a turn or a zig zag and she went back to find it. You can tell right away when she gets back on it.

(end quote)

Sounds like a pretty valid test to me ...

God bless,

T.R.

(end T.R's quote)
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM

I would have to agree with some of the previous posts. Not much is ever 100% effective. I would say though that if someone wants to spend THEIR money on a particular product it's THEIR money. I personally don't own any Scent Lok type products. If someone asked my opinion I would give it to them. If they decided to buy the product anyways that's their choice.

Besides it sounds as though this dead horse has been beaten a few times over the last little while.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WildlifePhoto

T.R. just sent me this:

(begin T.R's quote)

I found "smaxwell"s thread on Arvhery Talk just now (7:15 CT)

Here is what he posted"

(Quote)

In referece to my earlier post about running my bloodhound on a trail of a person with Scent Lok (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=731108) I ran the trail yesterday. As requested, I made a video. This is take one, first and only Scent Lok trail I ran with the hound. Here are the specs on the test.
- All clothing including socks and underwear washed in Scent Shield detergent for Carbon clothing the night before & dried at high heat for 60 ,min to recharge the carbon, per Scent Lok instructions.

-Washed underclothes and camo sealed in unscented plastic bag. All Scent Lok items (to be put on in the field) sealed in seperate plastic bag.

-My test subject showered with Scent Shield body soap (including washing hair) approx 30 minutes before and used Scent Shield deodorant.

-Camo was put on just before leaving home. Five minute ride in the car, then Scent Lok was taken out sealed bag and put on in the field over the camo. Didn't have Scent Lok gloves (I'd lost one) so used new heavy rubber gloves with camo gloves over them. Rubber boots, almost knee high were worn. Boots, belt, pants and gloves sprayed down with generous amount of new Scent Shield Carbon spray.

-Scent Lok used was Scent Lok classic I purchased three years ago and have recharged maybe 6 times. The Scent Lock full face mask is newer. Scent Lok was put on over the camo .

-Subject was instructed not to remove mask, gloves or any part of the apparel at any time during test.
-This was a blind test...I dropped the test subject off and told him to wait until I left and walk 10 minutes approx in any direction he wanted and to hide. Subject told me on the radio after reaching his hide that he had "made some turns and zig-zags" along the trail. The distance of the trail was just under 1/2 mile.

-Trail was ran after one hour. Hound used was a police trailing Bloodhound. I am her handler. Trail was ran in the San Juan Nat. Forrest (Turkey Creek area) near Pagosa Springs, CO. Temp was 60f, ground was damp from rain night before, humidity 79%, barometer falling, sky was overcast, wind was either nill or 1-2 mph.

View the results below. I tried to go into this with an open mind, not sure exactly what to expect. The Scent Lok appeared to do nothing. You will see in the video that the dog is keeping a tight lead the whole time and she is enthused. The way she ran this trail indicated to me that she not only had the scent but had a strong scent. She runs a weak trail scent much different, much slower and methodical. A few times you see her turn around or circle, this usually means that she over ran a turn or a zig zag and she went back to find it. You can tell right away when she gets back on it.

(end quote)

Sounds like a pretty valid test to me ...

God bless,

T.R.

(end T.R's quote)
Exactly who are you so dang bitter at? Don't like their product? Don't buy it!

Furthermore, Scent Shield is a product of Robinson Laboratories, makers of Scent Blocker. So in your "Tests", you were using a competitors treatments on Scent Lok's garments. WTH? That test is completely retarded! Are you now including Scent Blocker in your quest to educate the world of carbon clothing?

BTW, Robinson Laboratorieswas one of the few carbon impregnatedgarment manufacturers that wasNOT named in the lawsuitagainstScent Lok.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM

I didn't run the test, I dont even know the guy who did. I just happened to see it on You Tube

It appears it was run as a result of some guys on the Archery Talk- requestingthat a dog handlerfind out whether or not a dog could find someone in a ScentLok suit. And the dog did.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

not that it matters, but most experts (lee rue and alsheimer) tend to say that dogs have better noses than deer

Also, did the guy walk in with just his regular boots, because those would obviously be easy to smell that. I don't know, sure seems like a poor experiment to me
Old 11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Scent-lok? I wonder what all of the successfull hunters did before scent-lok was invented? Come on guys! Dont get duped by these companies foolish claims. Give yourself a good spray off with some cover scent before you head in and call it good. I have had more deer walk right up to me just by standing in my buddys dairy barn for a few minutes followed up by a good spray down before getting to my spot. If you hunt the ground kick up the leaves and get that earthy smell going. Take some of it and wipe yourself down with the earth and leaves. I get a kick out of guys who wont even come near the hunting cabin when there is a wood stove going. They are afraid that the smoke smell will get on their clothes! If you are hunting in the winter I wonder if Mr. Whitetail is not smelling 3/4 of the houses in the area burning wood stoves all over creation?!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with this guy ^^. There were plenty of people taking plenty of deer long before Scent-Lok ever came along.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

not that it matters, but most experts (lee rue and alsheimer) tend to say that dogs have better noses than deer
Since when are two photographers/writers more "expert" about deer and dog nose capabilities - than the scientists/biologists in the Shivik study (who are biologists who researchcanids [ dogs, coyotes, foxes]) or well known deer researcherDr. Karl Miler.

Answer - they aren't ...

Quick Reply: Watch this dog FIND a hunter - in Scent Lok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.