Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what type of bullet

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what type of bullet

So should I try to find a new bullet or are these fine? Should I shoot some Ballistic Silvertips and see how they do? I hate to pay that a box to test them when I know these group amazingly. Then again I don't want to shoot a deer and have it go right through them.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

they are very good for me they shoot tighter and better then remington and federals
Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigfathunter

they are very good for me they shoot tighter and better then remington and federals
Yep I thought the soft point Winchesters shot good until I tried these. They group super tight. As in I thought I was missing the targets and when I went to check it out had hit 6 times cutting in the same hole. I noticed it was slightly larger than the others but didn't see any new holes forming when I was shooting. After several shots I went to check it out and you could count 6 holes right there touching each other. That impressed me and I've been using them since. You can shoot and as long as you don't pull each shot will go in the bullseye one after another and the bullseye is what 1/2" or so.

They shoot great through my gun I'm just worried about them going through the deer now since someone said they had one go through a doe. I don't want it to just go through and me not get the deer because of it. Any others had experiences shooting deer with them?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

nosler ballistic tips in 150 or 165 grain. Myself i perfer the 165 gr.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 AM
Typical Buck

All you need is a remington corelockt or Winchester power point for 250-300 yards. (what you're using is fine). But if you want to step up to a premium (just because) then I would highly recommend the Federal Seirra Game king in 150gr. They are designed for extended range and boost down range engergy / accuracy.

I've never been a fan of ballistic tips, as the are unpredictable
Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fusion 165 gr.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

nosler ballistic tips in 150 or 165 grain. Myself i perfer the 165 gr.
x2. I've had very good success with these on both deer and elk.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM

So far I haven't taken a shot past 150 yards and the remi corelocks in 150 grain have been more than enough on whitetails and hogs. Plus my 700 loves'em and they're not to expensive.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

So do I need to step back down to just a power point or soft point? Or will I be fine with the Silvertips since my gun groups them so well? If they work fine I'd like to use those being as they do group extremely well as said.

I refuse to use the Remington's as I had a shotgun shell from them explode in the chamber of my shotgun and several that looked at it told me they thought I got a bad shell. I didn't know as the gun likes to jam a lot but has never done that before. After that it scared me away from Remington shells and I no longer like to use them.I might would in a pinch but if I can get something else I'd rather use them.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a huge fan of the Hornady Light Mag 165gr SST's.... In Indiana I can't use my rifle, but that is what I use when i go to Texas to hunt, and those are the shells that are always with me... They are on the pricier side, but the only thing they are used for is hunting...

Quick Reply: what type of bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.