HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what type of bullet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/270468-what-type-bullet.html)

saltflat 10-28-2008 02:47 PM

what type of bullet

I have an 30.06 and am wanting a better type of cartridge. I have been looking at the winchester ballistic silver tips but I am wanting some feedback on them or any other good cartridge.

RugerM77.270 10-28-2008 02:56 PM

RE: what type of bullet

What have you been using so far and what will you be doing with it.

saltflat 10-28-2008 03:09 PM

Sorry, winchester super x power points. I will be using it for deer hunting. But im goin down south and will prolly be shooting 250-300 yards. Im shooting a remington 710.

Cash_money 10-29-2008 07:39 PM

I like a nosler 100gr. ballistic tip in my 25-06, since its the same cartridge, I suggest you try a b-tip as lite as you can get in your 30-06

Ozark Sportsman 10-29-2008 09:14 PM

hmmm...well my advise to you would be to use as much powder as you can because 06 is a slower bullet anyway verse a 270 for ex. and if your at any kind of range it will sure make a differnce..also you might ask the guys on the reload fourms there the experts;)

Ozark

JagMagMan 10-29-2008 09:41 PM

I'd go with a 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip!

hometheaterman 10-29-2008 09:53 PM

I have a Browning BAR 30-06 and am shooting Winchester Super X(I think that's what it is) Silvertips in 150 grain. I've never tried the Ballistic Tip Silvertips but been tempted too. I used to shoot 165 Grain Soft Points and they worked well however, I accidentally bought some 150 grain silvertips and decided since I had them I would shoot them up just for fun. Well, I shot a few and adjusted the scope a little as it was a fair amount off. Next think I know it gets close. So then I start shooting and don't see any new holes through the scope. I shot a few more times and started to get frustrated thinking I was missing the target. Well, I go up there to check out what's going on and when I get to the target I see that 6 shots went through the same hole. Well cut inside each other. It was 6 shots in about the size of a half dollar piece if that bit. I noticed the hole looked slightly bigger through the scope than the rest but figured it was just like that and that I was missing the target when in reality I was shooting them in a really tight group. I was super impressed. I wasn't letting the gun get super hot but wasn't letting it cool down between each shot either.

After that I bought several more boxes and at first couldn't get them to group holding it in my vise. So I tried my buddies vise again and it did the same thing. I got it sighted in like I wanted making super tight groups unless I pulled. I'm super impressed with these so have been using them now.

The soft points did pretty well however but I like these better even though they cost a little bit more. I have a lot of buddies that like the soft points. Well, power points if they are 150 grain. I did like them I just couldn't believe how good these shot when I tried them. Not sure how the ballistics will do as I haven't tried them.

Also haven't shot a deer with these Silvertips yet so not sure how they do there either but lots of guys have said they do fine.

Check out and see what your gun likes best. Different guns like different ammo. Just because my Browning loves silver tips your gun may hate them. Who knows.

Grasshopper13 10-30-2008 10:02 AM

The winchester silvertips are made for bigger game. In my experience, a deer shot with the silvertips won't get you much of an entrance or exit hole. I shot a doe at about 60 yards with them one year, and the bullet actually just punched a hole clean through her. The bullet is built to expand slower, so as to get better penetration on larger game. I've actually had very good results with plain old Remington corelokt 150 grain bullets. My Model 700 shoots them pretty good and they perform well on whitetail sized game.

GH

Carpmaster 10-30-2008 10:22 AM

The Ballistic Silvertips are a very high quality whitetail bullet. 150 or 165 should shoot flat enough!!!

hometheaterman 10-30-2008 01:38 PM

bigger game. In my experience, a deer shot with the silvertips won't get you much of an entrance or exit hole. I shot a doe at about 60 yards with them one year, and the bullet actually just punched a hole clean through her. The bullet is built to expand slower, so as to get better penetration on larger game. I've actually had very good results with plain old Remington corelokt 150 grain bullets. My Model 700 shoots them pretty good and they perform well on whitetail sized game.
So if I shoot one with a Silvertip that is not a ballistic it will just got right through her? I'm a little worried now I just want to use them due to the fact my gun loves how they shoot soo much.