Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good plan.. bad results :(

Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good plan.. bad results :(

Just thought I would share my weekend with ya'll.
I was given permission to hunt around 120 or so acres ..mostly wooded..a few small feilds on top of the ridge.. no one lives on it.. and no livestock. so saterday.. I took my youngest step son (my little huntin buddy!) and scouted around.. we spoted 7 deer.. tons of sign and some heavily traveled deer paths.. squirrels everywhere.. if i didnt see 200 i didnt see 1. Now I was soon thinking YES! Waylon will most definatly get to bag something.. whether it is a deer ..or a squirrel( he has not killed anything..ever) see.. untill me and his mom got together.. he wasnt exposed to hunting. so .. I make the plans for the following days hunt.. early morning deer hunt.. then around 11 head to the other side of the property.. squirrel hunt the afternoone.. then head back to our deer spots around 4 to settle in for last hours of legal light. I was really excited at the prospects of the following day when i went to bed .. 5:00 am..the alarm sounds.. I get up start getting dressed.. and sliped a disc bending over to get socks out of the dresser!! (I have deteriated L5/S1 disc) It hurt like hell.. but i could still get around as long as i moved slow. My wife asked why i was still getting ready.. my reply.. I promised the boy a weekend of hunting.. and I wasnt going to back out forany reason! told her i would call her should i need help. .. well on the way there.. I explained to him what to do should my back go out.. I made it sound like no big deal and it was just precautionary lol. We arrive.. get to the spot I set his blind in..which was on the border of the field next to a path leading into the field. about an hour or 2 into it.. he asks if we could go into the woods and sit.. sure i say.. just walk slow and quiet. No luck.. all we seen was squirrels.. so at 11 its time to trade the bows in for the shotguns.. NOW im thinking here we go.. he is going to get a squirrel and learn to clean it.. well that excitment lasted about 2.5 minutes.. the wind picked up something horrid.. not a squirrel to be found (but did spot that 4 pointer standing at alert in some brush ..the wind had him antsy as heck) we watched him for 30 minutes or so..then headed to the truck for a drink and snacks.. fast forward to the evening deer hunt.. wind still blowing.. but not near as hard.. we settle in.. told him it was all him and left my bow in the truck. still hoping this was his day.. well.. about the time he has settled down into a comfortable position he says.. you going to use the rattle bag? I smile and say sure if ya want me to.. I rattle once..and hear voices! now..you have to understand.. we are about 1 mile back ..so you can imagine my surprise.. I peak out of the back of the blind.. see a little dog.. then a horse...followed by another..and another.. 6 freakin riders and their dog..I hear them say something about the blind and *someone must be hunting* another voice*should we cut down this path*...*no.. just keep going*... rode less than 7 feet from my blind!! waved and went through our line of sight.. andfollowed the woodline all the way to the end of the field and out of sight. I was so fustrated by this point..Waylon whispered ..what are we going to do? I tell him ..no need in whispering now.. and packed up our gear.... found out today.. those riders were not suppposed to be on the property at all...(which i assumed they had permission and simply didnt know we was going to be there..)
SO.. Im planning on another hunting trip on election day when waylon is out of school.. got a little spot that found todayhas heavy..heavy traffic got a doe today and while field dressing.. had another doe walk right by me. talked to the owners.. and they said it was always like that..and proceeded to tell me all kinds of fascinating info about there little plot of woods..and they only hunt during gun season..
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good plan.. bad results :(

well that is pretty dissapointing, how ever I used to do the same untill last year I was at my buddys property with his 2 boys and they were LOUD !!! granted we were comming out earlier than we should have we stopped on the road about 150 yards form the truck to have a soda and still they were yapping like they were in the back yard playing ball and as I am thnking this spot is dead for the week I look back and where the trail turns there was 3 deer standing there looking at us and casually walked away ??? I guess it goes to show that deer are curios and will investigate noise so I now sit tight till the days end. hope that helps you feel better