Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shoot in the shoulders???

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default shoot in the shoulders???

so i heard a rumor about people shoot deer in the front leg's just to drop em on the spot?? like instead of aiming right behing the shoulder blades they shoot the shoulder. what do you guys think about this?? and do you think a .270 winchester could perform this ??
Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shoot in the shoulders???

i think it ruins the shoulder meat cause i messed up and did this... also it deflects the bullet wildly if its not a perfect broad side shot and noi dont cause when i hit mine it was a perfect broadside and the deer droped to its breast but kept runnin w/ his hind legs and made it around 60 yards so unless ur in the open its not worth it
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

.270 will handle it fine. I prefer a bonded bullet though. Like you, I had rather take out the lungs.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

.270 will handle it fine. I prefer a bonded bullet though. Like you, I had rather take out the lungs.

Yeah, what he said!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

but regarding the fact that it ruins the meat do you think it is a nice method?? for long shot's??
Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Spike

If you don't care about losing the shoulder meat, a broken front leg or two will keep them from running too far. Besides, if they are angled right, you could take out a shoulder/leg AND the lungs.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
bigcountry

With a decent bullet/caliber, it can be done effectively. Most who try this end up hitting high. and bad news is, they run far and wide and don't bleed much. If you hit em about 4" above the brisket thru the knucle of the shoulder, he's going down like a ton of bricks.

With a 270 use a good bullet like a failsafe, barnes TSX, or a Trophy bonded bearclaw. Maybe even an accubond. But I wouldn't do it with something like a bullistic Tip or gameking.

I have done this on 5 acres I hunt where I don't want em to run. I use a 45-70, and it easily rips thru both shoulders.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM

I don't like the idea at all, but that is just my personal view. I'm not gonna tell anybody where to shoot their deer as long as they can hit where their aimin!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:35 PM

I can't say that I really have alot of personal experience with this, but I have sen quite a few hunting videos and it seems that when the deer drops in it's tracks it usually results from a shoulder hit.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a buck once on public land with a 12 gauge sluggun. I'm primarily a bowhunter so I aimed for a heart lungshot. The deer mulekicked and ran off. A couple minutes later (long after the deer was dead) I hear two shots. The buck had fallen in front of a guy who walked up and shot twice so he could clame it. It had my 12 gauge hole thru its heart (which came out in two peices) and his 308 tiny hole in it jaw. He said he hit it at a full run.

I like when they drop. I doubt you loose a ton of meat. But I'm still a bowhunter so I always aim at the lungs.

Quick Reply: shoot in the shoulders???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.