Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should shotguns have scopes?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should shotguns have scopes?

i probally would scope a slug gun if i had one, but not for buckshot or even birdshot (turkey hunting). when your bullet(s) spread as soon as they leave the barrel, it kinda defeats a scopes purpose...imo
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a scope on a shotgun for for many years. With the right combination of slug, scope and barrel you can get some great accuracy beyond 100 yards. Scopes work pretty good for turkey hunting as well. If you just want to limit yourself to 50 yards you can get away without a scope. What ever is legal and you prefer is what you should do.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

No problem putting a scope on a shotgun as it makes it a better shooter .
I don't have my winchester 1200 pump scoped . I bought in in 1965 and my wife bought me a Weaver Quik-Point sight that Christmas . No magnification . Just an Orange Dot . It works . The fartheste I have shot a deer is 95 yards so I never bothered to scope it .
Old 10-29-2008, 06:36 AM

In my part of NY, we cannot use rifle. I've been using a fixed 4x scope on my 870 for a number of years. It has definitely helped me pick out a "hole" through some thicker areas. With open sights, I do not think I would have been able to see some of the smaller branches that might have deflected the shot. The drawback is that I have to be a little more careful with the handling of the gun as to avoid knocking it out of center.

For turkey hunting, I hate using a scope. I greatly prefer my tru-glow open sights.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with SteveBNY, I love seeing pourly shot wounded deer running around I vote for no scopes.

Seriously I grew up hunting with rifle and scoped guns nad would never hunt without one, I realize there are hunters that are marksmen and love the added thrill of hunting with open sights like the pioneers did but for most and I bet 80% or higher any advantage they can get to make a good shot should be taken advantage of to avoid poor shots.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

During a party last Christmas I was talking hunting with my 20 year old nephew and ended up showing him my Rem 870 with scope mounted on the cantilevered rifed barrel. He told me scopes on shotguns were for wimps. I asked him how he did deer hunting this year, and told me the story of how he shot a doe with his smooth bore bead only sight shotgun at 100 yards. He ended up wounding the deer, tracked it for hours, and at the end of the day, never recovered the deer. I may be a wimp, but I've always put down deer with accruate shots with my scope, and have never lost one.