Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

RUT LURES

Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM

Default RUT LURES

I WAS CURIOUS TO TRY USEING LURES THIS YEAR. I WAS WONDER IF ANYBODY COULD GIVE ME SOME INPUT OR EXPERIENCES THAT U HAVE HAD, OR IF IT IS EVEN WORTH PLAYING AROUND WITH. I PURCHASED A BOTTLE OF TINK'S 69 AND A BOTTLE OF CODE BLUE. THANKS!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM

Default RE: RUT LURES

This is from T.R. Michels book The Complete Whitetail addict's Manual, it might help.

T.R.'s Tips: Rut Phase Scent Use

Fall is when deer search out quality food sources to put on enough fat to get them through the winter. It is also the breeding season. These are the two driving forces that stimulate deer in the fall. All deer travel more at this time in search of food. Bucks travel much more than normal while establishing dominance and trying to locate does. The different phases of the rut also signal increases and decreases in sexual interest. Remember that Territorial/Dominance Scents may scare off subdominant bucks, especially during the scraping and breeding phases, when the dominant bucks are aggressive. If you are looking for any buck you may not want to use these scents.

Pre-Rut/Rubbing Phase

Bucks are looking for food and starting to become interested in breeding. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Pre-Primary Breeding/Scraping Phase

Bucks are proclaiming dominance by establishing rubs and scrapes, and are looking for estrus does. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Primary Breeding and Post Primary Breeding Phase

Bucks are looking for does and protecting their breeding rights. Scraping may begin to increase again after most of does have been bred. Territorial/Dominance and Sex scents are most effective at this time.

Rest Phase

By this time the bucks are not as willing to fight but are still interested in breeding. They rest and eat. Sex scents are still effective. Some bucks may respond to Curiosity scents, while Food scents may work best.

Pre-Late Breeding and Late Breeding Phase

After recuperating from the rut bucks look for does that come into a late estrus. There may be renewed scrape activity at this time. Bucks respond to Sex, Curiosity and Food scents.

Post Rut Phase

After the rut is over bucks are not aggressive and often travel together to feeding areas. Though most of the does have been bred bucks still respond to estrus scents. Curiosity and Food scents may work near core areas, buck feeding sites, and travel lanes between the two.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: RUT LURES

After seeing T.R.'s tips there is not much more to say.
All I can say is I drag a scent line everytime I go out from now until I can't stand hunting anymore which is sometime after the rifle seasons are over here in Wisconsin and the deer are usually very nocturnal or it gets too cold for my liking.