Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heard a buck Growl!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Heard a buck Growl!!!

Heard the weirdest thing ever for so far in the woods to date. Me and my hunting partner were heading into the woods this morning on the 300+ acre property we hunt and after parking and starting to head to the woods for our hike to the stand locations we actually head a noise that can only be explained as the BUCK GROWL, or ROAR. It was about an hour before sunrise and it went on for 20 min, in an area below the hill we hunt between a swamp and pond, it was within 100 yards of us and we kept hearing it up to 300 yards from where we think the deer was. I dont fall for those gimicks and still wont buy one but now I know it is and actual sound a deer makes because of the grunting and what not mixed in.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Heard a buck Growl!!!

the first time i heard it was crazy! I was only thirteen and had no idea what was going on!
-Jake
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda early for that is'nt it? That is usually only a sound "some" deer make during the peak of the rut. Don't you have Bear in NY?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a small spike with my bow last year, (i thought it was a doe) and when i hit the deer, it reared up and let out a Growl that i would have thought came from a lion.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

yea it is probably a little early still..but I heard it the first week of november...he could have heard it now.
-Jake
Old 10-19-2008, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Kinda early for that is'nt it? That is usually only a sound "some" deer make during the peak of the rut. Don't you have Bear in NY?

thats what i thought also ......BEAR
Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, so you had no proper identification, you THINK that deer were in that area, AND the only sound it COULD have been is a buck growl. Perhaps this topic name should have been something more like "I heard some unidentified sound and I think maybe it was a deer but it could have been a bear, or the wind, or i have no clue what else"
Sorry but I think you are nuts. Not that I dont think deer do that vocalization, but without a proper identification I cant say your story has any merit.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

sure is early, but watched a 6 point chase and grunt the whole way after 2 does on Sat. morning, no bear on the property i am hunting atm
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

LOL on the my story has no merit, i am not one to make up stories, but he was grunting also as i said. Oh and sorry that you never heard the vocalization there figerz, me either until today, maybe you will someday.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM

When I first read the topic I thought it said, "Heard a Buck GROW."

My first thought was man that deer must be transforming like the Hulk, or that guy has some really unique hearing.

Quick Reply: Heard a buck Growl!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.