Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems? >

Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

If your using a cap instead of a primer, change the CAP a couple of times throughout the day. It is my belief that the caps are responsible for the majority of misfires. Some are bad, right out of the can, and condensation as simple as from bringing cold rifle into warm car can be enough to foul it. Caps are so inexpensive, and I learned the hard way more than once when I shot traditional.

I hunt with ducktape over the end of my barrel of my Encore, and have left a load in for more than a few days, with no problems. You must, however always be aware of the fact that it is still loaded. That's why it is so important to score your rod where it exits the barrel, when there is a load in. Hate to have you put ANOTHER load into an already loaded barrel. Don't laugh, it happens!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe off subject but...i hate it when i am hunting and my muzzleloader's 209 primer doesnt go off when shooting at a deer
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

BP and BP substitutes are orthoscopic, meaning they soak up moisture, causeing ignition failure.
I think you mean Hygroscopic. I'll leave mine loaded for a few days, but longer than that, i just screw out the breech plug and push the load out or shoot my Great Plains sidelock. Just a personal thing for my peace of mind.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

If you have an in-line and you suspect that the charge might be foulded. You could probably remove the plug and dump the powder, push the bullet back toward the muzzle slightly, load the powder thought the breech, re-install the plug, then re-seat the bullet. I am just thinking but I guess that would work. You would have to make sure that you don't have tons of breech plug grease on the threads to fould the powder.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

DD: if your Savage BP rifle uses smokeless powder,{ I believe at least one model does } There COULD be fewere issues than with Black powder.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

oops
Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kid

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

BP and BP substitutes are orthoscopic, meaning they soak up moisture, causeing ignition failure.
I think you mean Hygroscopic. I'll leave mine loaded for a few days, but longer than that, i just screw out the breech plug and push the load out or shoot my Great Plains sidelock. Just a personal thing for my peace of mind.
Yeah I knew it had to be one of those "scopics" Next time Ill pay attention to the spellcheck

About the savage, whole other level of reliability. During a hunt last yea,r on a very foggy day, I noticed so much water droplets forming on the gun that it started pouring out of the breech and receiver area. I stop hunting and figured I was gonna need 10 primers to make it go off, if at all. That night I pulled off the road, went in the woods and fired it into the dirt, BANG! no problem! I use IMR4759.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another question ...my buddy bought some black powder just like I use in my Savage ...I think he shoots an inline CVA using a 209 .... when he tried to shoot it the gun would not fire..he checked to make sure the nipple was clean and it was..he tried several times ...he cleaned it out then tried pellets and it fired ...any idea's why it would not work with just the black powder?

dd
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

no it wont i leave myn'e in for months and its dead on when i shot it.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Another question ...my buddy bought some black powder just like I use in my Savage ...I think he shoots an inline CVA using a 209 .... when he tried to shoot it the gun would not fire..he checked to make sure the nipple was clean and it was..he tried several times ...he cleaned it out then tried pellets and it fired ...any idea's why it would not work with just the black powder?

dd
Doc , no offense but I gotta ask, why are you using black powder in a savage? Are you restricted in your state?

Quick Reply: Will keeping a muzzleloader loaded cause any problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.