Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My idea for a new license system >

My idea for a new license system

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My idea for a new license system

Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default My idea for a new license system

So I was sitting around the other day cleaning out my wallet and couldn't help but notice all the paper and different licenses I had, and I thought there must be a better way. Then I noticed my school ID, a single card that contains all sorts of information and I got to thinking. What would it take to implement a system where a hunter/fisherman gets a single license card that would have all the ID information like customer numbers and personal information, and that card would act as all of the licenses the hunter/fisherman purchases. Buying licenses could be as easy as going online, paying with a credit card and that license would be automatically added to the list of licenses that your card represents. Then when it comes to tags there would be blank printable tags available online as well as at license stores for those w/o internet access, and when you register a deer it's automatically "deducted" from your online account. what do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My idea for a new license system

I think that is what will happen pretty soon and I think its a good idea. Get a pattent quick
Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have that in Indiana. A lifetime license. Just dont have to pay every year.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have something like that now here in NJ
Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

The possum police would need a scanner of some kind to read the information, and I'm not sure how the license holder would be able to make sure the license was current.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

jim, is it like a card thats only good for certain species/hunters/seasons, cuz i dont think your dnr would make any money if it sold a lifelong license at a one time cost to every body, but i'm probably not understanding you. my idea is to replace the annual printing of 3 feet of plastic paper that we have here in WI and to make it easier to carry around and purchase licenses in the new tech savvy generation.

tc, you're right there would need to be a new way to check licenses, i thought of that too but had to rush out w/o finishing the post to meet the g/f. All they would need would be a radio to a dispatcher w/ computer access or computer access themselves as i know lots of them have them in their trucks, all they would need to do would be to call in your number or look it up and instantly know what licenses you have and what sort of tags. as far as knowing whether the license was current or not the license holder could call a 1-800 number and dial in their # and it'd tell what licenses and tags you have, or just check on the internet. Seems like somethin they could make cheap enough to put out every year or every season, like most of our licenses here in WI expire march 31st of every year, thusly so would your card.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jim1966

We have that in Indiana. A lifetime license. Just dont have to pay every year.
Yep, bought mine about 12 years ago, best money I have spent on hunting ever. After adding up the cost of a yearly license and tage, Ihunt for free now in terms of license and tags.Wish I would have gotten the lifetime fishing to go with it, stupid me!!!!!!! More states will go to this if there is more of an interest aswell as a benefit to the DNR and state. they have to make their money somewhere from us hunters. If your state offers it, do what you can to buy this license, you wont regret it.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theyd do it the same Wi Police Depts do them with Drivers Licenses. They swipe our licenses in the onboard computer in the squads, it pulls up all the information they need, wants warrants, previous convitions etc. I just think the system for hunting woudl be a little more than a migrane headache though. But a good idea.

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

The possum police would need a scanner of some kind to read the information, and I'm not sure how the license holder would be able to make sure the license was current.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its a good idea,but a little too tough to put into action. Take for instance where I live in Illinois. We can buy our licenses online and print them out immediately. I print one hunting license and on fishing license a year. Deer permits of course need to be mailed. After purchasing, at anytime we can go back and print them in case they are lost or destroyed. I actually really like the way they do it in Illinois, its the one the IDNR has done right here.

Also, with the DNR also spends a lot of time on there feet walking around and carrying around a machine would probably not go over well to them. Plus, I used to sell these type of cards to corporations and large Hotels chains. Getting a few million for the state of Illinois would not be cheap on a budget that is already hurting. Plus the ones we would carry in our wallets would have to be a little bit more durable. The average life of a hotel room key with the type of magnetic strip required for storing info is about 3 days so it would have to be as durable as a Drivers license.

Im not saying its a bad idea, Id personally like it, but for illinois, its far easier and affordable for the state to just have a system set up where the consumer spends the money on paper and all they have to do is provide a system and collect the money, then let us worry about keeping tracks of our license. Plus, we can buy our license at home, work, etc and don't have to worry about heading to the store. I agree though that WI does have some problems with there system and the amount of paper they print out for each license.