Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best time to call

Old 09-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best time to call

i know this probably has been posted before but whens the best time to call deer. i hunt in wisconsin. any advice would be highly appriciated
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best time to call

I think a good time to call would be right around the pre rut, (social calling) And most deffentily the best time would be during the rut, (agressive calling) Post rut not so good, The majority of bucks are headding back to their home range and pretty much looking for good food sorces. This is the time to focus on finding travel coridors, and food sorce. although some of the Does are comming into the second estrus cycle and the 1-1/2 year old does could be starting to cycle also. But I think IMO the best time is during the peek of the rut.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

i start using a buck grunt and rattle antlers around pre rut and i call and rattle usually about every 30 to 45 minute. deending on what i see the deer doing if i think they arent that agressive yet i call less but if i really see the deer reacting to calls and bigger bucks chasing younger and smaller bucks off then i call more. i really like the snort wheeze
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

The best time to call is when you actually see a deer, that way you know if it heard your call and how it's reacting to it. Blind calling should be avoided.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

so around mid-october is the best time
Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Early morning, or late evening, when they are most active.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kevin1

The best time to call is when you actually see a deer, that way you know if it heard your call and how it's reacting to it. Blind calling should be avoided.
I would respectfully and totally disagree. I've called in A LOT of bucks calling blind. Most of the bucks I've killed during pre-rut/rut were called in blind. During these periods, I will call anywhere from every 15 mins to every 30 mins, depending on the stage of the rut. It's easy to over-do it though. You have to becareful. I like to call often, but in very small amounts.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i will be blind hunting and also treestand hunting this year
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Wis rifle hunter,
LOL...Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but what he meant by calling bind....is when you don't see anything and call. So go ahead and call from your blind or treestand. Just be carefull when calling from the blind. I have seen/heard stories about deer running right over a hunter in a blind....rare but it could happen. It'd be funny as $hit if it did happen though!!
On a side note. I'm in Northern MN and haven't had nearly as good of results as I do when hunting the southern states. has a lot to do with buck/doe ratios.
Also, be advised that the deer will pinpoint you, and you need to be perfectly still. I have seen deer look right at me from over a hundred yards away when calling. I once called in a 6-point in Alabama that walked right up to the tree I was in. A .44 slug between the eyes ended his day.
Good luck and tell us your results.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Calling works year round if done correctly, with the right calls and volume.. could you be a little more specific about what you are trying to accomplish?