Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trophy rock

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Default trophy rock

has anyone used the trophy rock ??.....is it as good as everyone says it is ??
Old 09-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trophy rock

I tried one last year. Didnt look like it was going to work too good at first. It took about a month and a half for the deer to find it but once the found it they were all over it. I placed another one this yeah but I didnt get it into the woods till the beginning of August. I would imagine it will be the same deal as last year. Just give it some time and once the deer locate it they will be all over it for a long time. Thats how it worked for me at least.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

They are a little slow to find it but when they do they will paw a hole out.I put one out last fall and it was gone by spring and I have used 2 in the same spot since then.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and yes it is. This is whats left of one.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM

well u guys you helped alot....i no what im goin to get to put in front of my camera :P
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I put three out in front of my cameras and two areas that had good traffic before are being hit every day now. Over 100 pictures (3 minute delay) each week which is up 75% from before the rock. The other rock is in a area we were bear baiting daily and wasn't getting too many pictures either before or after the rock. I suspect the presence of us and the numereous bears coming in to feed have kept the deer at a distance.

I truely believe in the trophy rock for both does and bucks now that I've seen the results in just two months. I've got videos from my cameras of a pair of eight pointers fighting to get a lick. I just bought 6 more rocks for next year as Cabelas has them on sale for $15 now. If they are like salt blocks, I suspect the deer will not be hitting them as hard as the temperatures cool down this fall and winter.

Gerry
Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

here's my expereience with the trophy rock. i put one out and nothing had touched it for about two weeks so i smuthered it in liquid mineral lick to attract the deer to it. so the main thing to do is to get them to know it's there.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Trophy Rock

Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Check your game laws, some states consider them bait if left out year-round, mine does.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check your game laws, some states consider them bait if left out year-round, mine does.

Thats a thought. The weird thing about that is I put mine in the same spots every year. And they will still dig at it even when its gone. They seem to soak in the ground. So even if you take it away, if they know it was there, they will continue to hit that spot. So how could they enforce any baiting law?