Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem >

LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem

Has anyone here bought a pair of the new LaCrosse Alpha II hunting boots? I got a pair and they smell like a new set of tires. I've tried washing them, leaving them out in the sun etc. But they still smell just as strong. Anyone else had the same experience with these or other rubber boots. Should I be worried about the smell come hunting season? Comments, observations or advise?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem

The LaCrosse boots are much different since they are now made in China. I noticed the same thing on the last pair I bought. The smell seemed to go away after a while.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Sprinkle a tablespoon of baking soda inside them and shake to cover the insides completely, spray the outside with the scent killer spray you trust most, they should be fine with a treatment or two. I bought a pair of rubber boots that smelled like that once, this killed the smell pretty quickly.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Spike

The problem is with the outside of the boots not the inside. I'll try the scent blocker spray and see if that works.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have that problem with Muck boots. The smell goes away quicky. I did buy a pair of Boggs for bow hunting, and they smell much stronger than the Mucks. What I'm doing is hand washing them in scent free detergent. I then spray them down with scent away. I put them outside for a couple days and repeat the whole process several times. Other than setting them outside for a year or two, some boots just don't ever lose that rubber smell. I think it my bother us more than the deer. Why take a chance though? BTW, I wouldn't put baking soda in boots, unless you aren't wearing them. If you do, make sure you get it all out before you start wearing them. The soda will actually eat away at the boots when your feet start sweating. Just think about it, what happens to corrodedbattery heads when you put baking soda and water on them?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Spike

Maybe I'll give the Muck boots a try. I just can't seem to get the smell out. I tried Kevin's scent killer spray suggestion, repeated times too, and that didn't do a thing to relieve the smell.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you do give Muck boots a try, you will love them. Over time your Alphas may eventually lose the smell, but it may take a while. Another thing, If you still want to wear them, rub soil on them often. The soil has a strong smell that may help some. In other words, give them a good dirt bath quite often.I rub soil, weeds, and pine needles on my boots when I'm bow hunting.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions superstrutter!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My LaCross boots smelled like rubber too. I'd step in every pile of horse crap on my way to the stand, but to tell the truth, I don't think deer spook from the smell of rubber. That being said, my muck boots lost their new boot smell pretty quickly and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Spike

I have had the same experiences with the Alphas. I fianlly swithced to waterproof non rubber boots. Unless you have to cross deep water I would just wear normal boots (not rubber), I have not seen any advantage in my hunting experience in wearing rubber boots. I do agree with the cover scent suggestion, and also everytime I step in the woods I walk in mud or a mudhole to cover any foreign scents. Btw, I have a couple pair of muck leather boots they are unbelievably comfortable, mucks are quality boots. Im sure their rubber boots are just as good.

Quick Reply: LaCrosse Alpha II odor problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.