Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1st bow

Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st bow

What would bea good bow to start my 11 year old son out with?
And what # would it have to be for him to kill a deer?
I can't see spending a whole lot of $ on a bow he'll only use maybe one or two seasons.
Maybe even second hand...
Whata ya think?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st bow

left or right handed?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

i had a parker for my first bow and i loved it... and on certian ones they have a program where they will replace the limbs and cams if u send it in
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 AM

My11 year old daughter shoots a Browning Micro Midas 2 with max. 40 lb draw. In Indiana, you have to have a 35 lb. draw weight to deer hunt. We looked at aParker Sidekick this weekend, and almost wish we had gotten that instead. When you outgrow the 40 lb. draw, for $50 you can send it back and they will put 50 lb. limbs on it. At Gander Mtn. it comes completely set up for just over $300.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

PSE offers some good youth bows
Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey kt, what is the cuurent draw lenght your looking for, i bought my grandson an AR34 that can be adjusted from 24 or 25" too 31" he was 5'3" when we got it and he can/will grow and the bow modules can be changed to keep up with him, most likely this bow will last him a lifetime

i looked at several youth bows,during the W/E prior to buying, then monday afternoon went toa friends that has a shop and he recommended going ahead and stepping it up, i'm glad we did, the next bow he "justhas to have" will be on him, as this one should last thru all his growing spruts