Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need Info!: Packing out a deer? >

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

I'm going to be hunting some state land this year and have some terrific spots that are as far as a mile back in. I assume packing out the deer would be the easiest way as no motor vehicles are allowed. The area is extremely hilly with many gully's and ravines. I am just not sure on how to "pack out" a deer. I assume this means detaching all four legs and associated muscle, taking the backstraps, and head if a buck? I currently have game bags, knives, bone saw, and sharpener to do the dirty work. Could anybody give me more info on doing this or alternative ways of getting a deer out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Are you familiar with butchering a deer?

I use a method I've heard called "Indian Quartering". With the animal laying on it's side I skin one side of the deer. I cut the backstrap out, cut the front quarter off (I cut it at the knee first before cutting it all the way off the animal) then cut the back quarter off (same thing, I cut it off at the knee first before cutting the hindquarter off at the hip joint). I also cut some neck meat off. If you are planning on having the deer mounted you need to make sure and cut the cape correctly also. Once I have one side cleaned off I turn it over and repeat the same processon the other side. I never "gut" the deer. You can cut the tenderloin out without gutting them. You can also cut the ribs off if you want to as well.

On a big buck you may end up making 3 trips to get it out if you are taking the head out with you. You also might check your regulations on proof of sex that is required.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends. One solution is to first gut the deer. Then tie the right front leg to the right rear leg with rope. Tie the left front leg to the left rear leg. Prop the deer up against something. Sit down and slip your right arm through the loop formed by the two right legs; slip your left arm through the loop formed bythe two left legs. Stand up and lift the deer like a backpack. This works if the deer is not too heavy. Where I hunt in Oklahoma gutted deer may weigh just 100 LBS or less, and this technique works.

Another solution applies if you have a helper. Gut the deer. Tie the two front legs together; tie the two back legs together. Slip a long wooden pole through the legs with enough extra length available so you and your buddy can carry the pole on your shoulders with the deer between. This method works pretty well.

Of course, you can also do as you suggested, cut the deer up into more manageable parts and pack out the parts in several trips on a backpack.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen the "Indian quartering" and it seemed really good. I always heard it called "florida quartering" though, but it's the same thing. I've only had to pack out one deer in my life, and I skinned it, got the quarters off, wrapped everything in game bags and tied it all to the frame of my pack.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always used the "indian quartering" method, although I have never heardit called thatbefore. Here in NC I have never had to make more than one trip.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

It depends. One solution is to first gut the deer. Then tie the right front leg to the right rear leg with rope. Tie the left front leg to the left rear leg. Prop the deer up against something. Sit down and slip your right arm through the loop formed by the two right legs; slip your left arm through the loop formed bythe two left legs. Stand up and lift the deer like a backpack. This works if the deer is not too heavy. Where I hunt in Oklahoma gutted deer may weigh just 100 LBS or less, and this technique works.
Of course you may get shot on the way out!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that has really helped me over the years is the following. I haveat timeshad to drag a big deer out of some thick bush (sometimes a mile or so). I picked up a kid's plastic snow sled which I have put some holes in the sides so I can attach bungie cords. After gutting the deer I put the deer on the sled (head to the back and bungie it down good and tight. I have a shoulder harness which is attached to the front of the sled (short rope) and I drag it out. You don't need snow to make it work and I have found that dragging it is easier than carrying. You haven't listed a location where you are hunting so I don't know if you can pick up such a sled in your area (you may be down south), but if you can it may help.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Of course you may get shot on the way out!
I have had to do this a couple of times when hunting the state WMA. I always pack my rifle and climber out first, then return for the deer. I am wearing cooler clothes and a lot more orange on the second trip. I even put an orange bag on the deer's head and whistle "Happy Birthday" on the way out.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't carry it due to the danger of getting shot. In Vermont unless it is a small doea buckwill usually be well above 125 pounds so one person bringing it out on your back is unlikely.I usually drag all mine out and when it is way back I try to get some help. In this state the deer has to be checked in and quartering it might be illegal. The sled works well andI have used that too. Some guys use the big wheeled game carts but I never tried that.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:24 AM

Yeah, carrying out the deer probably isn't the best idea here in NY. I'd be fine until I got close to the road and had to make it through the orange zone. Although most of my state land hunting will be bowhunting. And also the deer are fairly large here so I'd like to avoid carrying out unnecessary skeletal weight. I shoudn't have a problem with the distance or intensity as I'm only 16 and in good shape so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.