Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need Info!: Packing out a deer? >

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Check the local laws, here in NH we have to bring the entire deer out whole, it can be field dressed but that's it.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the plastic roll up sled idea before. You can get those in Sportsmans Guide or one of the box stores. Just lace em' up and start pulling. I' is easier than pulling on ground
Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

We almost always drag them out on the bare ground for bowand most often have snow during rifle or ML seasons. One thing I do is pull the front hooves up over the rack on each side, tie them off and then hook up my drag on the rack with a half hitch around the nose. I let my drag be about 3 to 4 feet long and when I step into it and pull it raises the nose then lifts the head, rack and hooves so they don't get tangled with the ground. I have dragged many deer this way and if you go slow it is pretty easy to get one out a mile or so all by yourself.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Legality is an issue. In SC it is illegal to transport a headless deer. Quartering it may count as that. I only field dress them to lose the gut weight before carrying them out.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:28 PM

ther is crazy's runing in florida so i would just find your deer asap, and then do the ''dirty work''. plus in florida you have to take the deer to the check station first
Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I'm surprized that no one has mentioned those two wheeled deer carts. I have never used one, but it seems a lot easier than dragging. Just carry out your climber and rifle, then go back in with the cart. If I was going to go back into the WMA, I would look into getting one of those.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

The problem with the carts are the issue of weight/space. Do you want to pack in one of those things? Also some of these ravines are 200 ft deep and the sides near vertical! How do you get a 200 lb deer cart out of that? Also what about fallen logs? They are every where as this area shows no sign of logging ever.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: npaden

Are you familiar with butchering a deer?

I use a method I've heard called "Indian Quartering". With the animal laying on it's side I skin one side of the deer. I cut the backstrap out, cut the front quarter off (I cut it at the knee first before cutting it all the way off the animal) then cut the back quarter off (same thing, I cut it off at the knee first before cutting the hindquarter off at the hip joint). I also cut some neck meat off. If you are planning on having the deer mounted you need to make sure and cut the cape correctly also. Once I have one side cleaned off I turn it over and repeat the same processon the other side. I never "gut" the deer. You can cut the tenderloin out without gutting them. You can also cut the ribs off if you want to as well.

On a big buck you may end up making 3 trips to get it out if you are taking the head out with you. You also might check your regulations on proof of sex that is required.
This is used on big game and is simply the "gutless method"

And for the OP, you should debone the deer, it will make everything easier for packing out including loss of unneeded weight. Get the right pack like a Canadian with a meat locker and you can pack out the whole deer in 1 trip.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tommb

The problem with the carts are the issue of weight/space. Do you want to pack in one of those things? Also some of these ravines are 200 ft deep and the sides near vertical! How do you get a 200 lb deer cart out of that? Also what about fallen logs? They are every where as this area shows no sign of logging ever.

when you say 200lb deer cart i hope your talking about the weight of the deer and the cart combined... the aluminum carts weigh 21lb and carry up to 250lb. i'd spend the $90 before i started to drag one that far again.

True story: same situation, long ways in on government strip... atleast an hour walk like this up and down hills. the picture was after we got him to the house.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

oops... double posted it

Quick Reply: Need Info!: Packing out a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.