Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you control neighbors dogs?? >

How do you control neighbors dogs??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you control neighbors dogs??

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you control neighbors dogs??

Wow this subject has gotten more attention that I thoguht it would. I think my next step is to call the DEC officers and tell them the dogs are chasing deer. I have a friend that knows the local DEC officer so that should help.

Another thought that i had...I don't live at my property, but work 5 minutes from it so I am there every day. I own all the fields surrounding their house. I thought about paying the local farmer to spread his cow manure in all my fields that butt up against their yard on all sides. That way if the dogs are outside, and not leashed they will roll in the manure and bring it back into the house...At least my dog would roll in it every chance he got...
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i were you i think i would remember where my old .22 is at and put it to work
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I try to be nice about it, if it's a dog I know I'll let it's owner know that it's running loose, but the next time I'll call the animal control. Animals caught chasing game get a warning shot the first time, so far no repeat offenders.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

nm
Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would first talk to the neighbors then if it persisted take another route.

I am not against taking the animals out myself though. I grew up on the farm and have done it on several occasions.

People say shooting a dog is ANIMAL CRUELTY. So what do you call SHOOTING A DEER then. As quick and humaine as possible is not cruel.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jemrami9

antifreeze and hamburger?
NAHHHH, walk up to em and a slug out of a .410 or a 22 if your far away would do just fine
Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: eelriver

I had a friend with the same problem. The neighbor let their hound run his woods at will. Every time he was on his deer stand the dog would come running by. He did all he could do to ask the owner to keep his dog at home, but he was ignored. So one day, he took things in his own hands and solved the dog problem. His only mistake was he left the evidence where it could be found. As it turned out he ended up in more trouble than it was worth. So if you do decide to thin the dog population, be SURE no one ever knows.
if it was a hound i would probaly try to take it and keep it as my dog, but any other dogs, thin them out
Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Spike

In West Virginia if a dog is caught chasing deer you can legally shoot them collar or no collar tag or no tag.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jimpickens

In West Virginia if a dog is caught chasing deer you can legally shoot them collar or no collar tag or no tag.
Not true. The only person allowed to legally shoot a dog chasing deer is a conservation officer and then only after attempting to catch it.

From the WV Code:

ยง20-2-16. Dogs chasing deer.
No person shall permit his dog to hunt or chase deer. A conservation officer shall take into possession any dog known to have hunted or chased deer and the director shall advertise that such dog is in his possession, giving a description of the dog and stating the circumstances under which it was taken. Such notice shall be published as a Class I legal advertisement in compliance with the provisions of article three, chapter fifty-nine of this code, and the publication area for such publication shall be the county. He shall hold the dog for a period of ten days after the date of the publication. If, within ten days, the owner does not claim the dog, the director shall destroy it. In this event the cost of keeping and advertising shall be paid by the director. If, within ten days, the owner claims the dog, he may repossess it on the payment of costs of advertising and the cost of keep, not exceeding fifty cents per day. A conservation officer, or any officer or employee of the director authorized to enforce the provisions of this section, after a bona fide but unsuccessful effort to capture dogs detected chasing or pursuing deer, may kill such dogs.

Now granted that may be one of those laws that aren't enforced very much. But I can assure you if you shoot someone's dog, whether it was chasing deer or not, and the owner finds out and decides to pursue legal action, you my friend will be in a lot of trouble.

As others have said on here, there are legal ways of handling it. Best to attempt those first. Remember CYA.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Spike

when did they change the law I'm asking this because from 1992 to 2004 I lived in Ohio and when I left the policy was if you see a dog chasing a deer you were in the right to shoot it I guess to many part time resident carpetbaggers bitched and whined about it.

Quick Reply: How do you control neighbors dogs??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.