Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad name for taxidermist

Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bad name for taxidermist

i had a guy "loose" my mount after i gave it to him to do for me. Thing was he was a good friend. he did this to a couple others too. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else
Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad name for taxidermist

i dont know how they can lose a mount.

I have heard of taxidermists selling capes and antlers though.....it happened to a guy around here who shot a piebald buck. he took it to the taxidermist and when he got it back it had a normal cape. the guy questioned about the piebald cape and the taxidermist denied it. so they got the authorities involved and found his cape for sale somewhere.

pretty low if you ask me
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 PM

I did have it happen. He isn't my friend anymore!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check e-bay. The first thing a good taxidermisit does is tag the antlers and the cape. he needs to be prosecuted, but it would be hard to do.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

he ditched town people were to happy with him
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: afrdnckhntr

i had a guy "loose" my mount after i gave it to him to do for me. Thing was he was a good friend. he did this to a couple others too. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else
I actually have heard of this happening once before. If the guy is good like some of the taxidermists I know, he probably has hundreds and hundreds of of mounts that he has to do. Since you're a friend, my guess is that he'll end up finding it tucked away somewhere because he planned on doing yours during his spare time or something rather than doing yours just like some average customer.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had some dirty stuff happen to a meat processor I used to go to. I finally caught on when I took him a 500 pound elk and got back a 20 pound box of meat... What happened to the rest? At first he tried to say I quartered it up wrong. That didn't fly because I didn't quarter the meat. Just did normal field dressing.We draggedit out whole with a four wheeler and my supervisor and I loaded it up in his truck and hauled it to the processor about 20 miles away. Then the guy tried to say it was all shot up. I hit that elk once, in the neck. That was the only hole in it other than the field dressing. After I told him that, he told me to take my small box of meat and never come back.

It's not like it was a big bull or anything, just a cow, but I get more meat than that from a deer. I've heard things like that from various other processors too.

I've never had a taxidermist lose anything of mine. I had one turkey done once, and it took about two years to get it back, and my name was spelled wrong on it... Never had one lost though.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

The part that bothered me was he kept tellin me yea its almost done and he never started it i know that for a fact but he took my money and ran guess its just another one of them life experiences
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Ya thats a good "friend" what a low thing to do
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

We took a taxidermist duck hunting in Ark. several years ago. We all killed ducks that we sent home with him to mount. I sent a Bufflehead drake and hen with him. I called him several months later to see when the ducks would be finished. He told me he misplaced them. Months later, I went to his house to see his new showroom. There in a covered globe were my Buffleheads. I asked about them. His answer was that he thought I sent the ducks home with him tomount and keep for himself. He knew they were mine to be mounted. I gave him instructions on how I wanted them mounted and he wrote them down. I put them in a bag with my name on it. He had never killed a Bufflehead and wanted them for himself. I didn't push the issue. I just let him keep them. They looked really good.A friend of minetook adeer head, a squirrel, and a bobcatto a taxidermist. He never got them back. Most taxidermist are hard working honest people that do good work, but with any occupation, you are going to have a few bad apples.

Quick Reply: Bad name for taxidermist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.