Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost in the woods

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM
XTP

Default RE: Lost in the woods

Been "turned around" more times than I can count, but only once would I consider myself lost.
Early in my hunting career chasing deer in un-familiar territory and without a compass... recipe for trouble or what ?!!
Ended up close enough to a highway that every time a semi went down I could just barely hear it.
Just kept listening for that next truck to keep a bearing.

Since then, I ALWAYS carry two compasses with me on every hunting trip. GPS are great tools to have, but don't rely on that as your only means of navigation.
A decent quality LED flashlight, a compass, fire starter, and a little survival knowledge will help ensure you return safely.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Well... I know who NEVER to go hunting with
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM

I have hunted alot of wild country but have never been as lossed as 2 years ago after returning from a trip to the bahamas I couldn't find my car in the air port parking lot .I never go any where in the woodswith out a compass .Why would I?My gps is fun but I depend on my compass.

[/align]
Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 PM
XTP

ORIGINAL: CupCake28

Well... I know who NEVER to go hunting with

Just the opposite.. hunting the Canadian Boreal forest in late November is a world away from a Southern food plot on a private ranch.
You panic up here and it can cost you your life.
In these woods, getting "turned around" is part of life for any hunter that ventures off the beaten path ... staying calm and getting back on track the sign of experience.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 PM

I would panic if I didnt know the area. Definitely. Then Id get mad for getting myself lost... I would waste so much energy
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM

never actually got lost but i have got stuck in the middle of the woods when a thunderstorm came up.Pouring rain and lightning all around me and i was over a mile away from my truck. I knew how to get back but I wish i had a gps so that i could cut straight through the woods instead of on the trail.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Nope,never been lost. I always was sure what state I was in. Been turned around plenty of times, but never been totally lost. If you have a compass, you are usually good to go.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me once. I left the truck figuring I would only walk in and keep the road in sight when I cut on a scrape line and some fresh track a few hundred yards later I got turned around. Wouldn't you know my compass and gps were in my daypack back in the truck, figured I wouldn't need it. I did learn my lesson, my compass and gps stay in my jacket pocket and now I always mark a waypoint when I get out of the truck even if I know the area. When I finally came to a road I knew something was up, the road I came out on was paved the one I went in on wasn't. I did find my way back to my truck after about an hour and a half. Most important thing is to stay calm and don't panic.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Got lost years ago when I was 14 while hunting with Dad. I was supposed to push through a swamp and them meet up with my uncles on the other side. I slid past the edge and went over a hill, then started downhill. I missed the meeting place and walked for 6 hours before coming out to a road. I was scared and from that time on always carried a compass. Today in addition to 2 compasses I carry a GPS loaded with topo maps.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Spike

I've been lost in the woods plenty of times . Always had my compass withme though. Yeah the GPS is nice but it can go on the fritz at any time.I'veseen it happen on more than oneoccasion.

The one thing that always stuck in my mind was DO NOT PANIC! Once you start to panic things can go from bad to worse in just a few minutes. Apply theSTOP method.

Stop what you are doing and sit down once you realize you are lost.
Think about your situation and how you got there. Try to recall some of your steps. This will help you to calm down and start thinking again.
Observe your surroundings. Sitting down and observing your surrounds you might hear a river or brook, or machinery noises. Or perhaps a road or cars driving.
Plan out your course of action. Most people agree that you should stay put. Gather some firewood to spend the night and try to make a shelter. Keeping your mind active is the best way to keep panic from setting in.

Good luck this year.

Quick Reply: Lost in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.