HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Lost in the woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/260582-lost-woods.html)

CupCake28 08-30-2008 10:17 PM

Lost in the woods

Have you ever gotten lost in the woods while hunting?

I think that is one of my biggest fears. I have to have a GPS where ever I go. I know they have specific ones for the woods, but I dont have one. Would it be a good thing to invest in one of those?

Canned Heat 08-30-2008 10:20 PM

RE: Lost in the woods

I did for about half an hour once when I was a kid....25 years or so ago. Walked in big circles for awhile until the sky cleared up. Never, ever forgot my compass since that day. I'd carrymy GPS, but I gotta enough crap to tote the way it is. Probably will soon.

Wlfdg 08-30-2008 11:13 PM

Yep! When I got my drivers lic. I went out coonhunting with my (young) dog. He struck a track that took him all over creation. When I finally caught up to him I had no idea where I was. I was soaked to the bone, beat down and exhausted. I shot the coon, skinned it, made a fire, ate it up with the dog, curled up with him tucked in my jacket and went to sleep. In the morning I shot 4 squirrels ,cooked and (we) ate them. We followed a creek to a road and followed that to a road I knew and found my truck. It was quite the adventure.

2 Lunger 08-30-2008 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Wlfdg

Yep! When I got my drivers lic. I went out coonhunting with my (young) dog. He struck a track that took him all over creation. When I finally caught up to him I had no idea where I was. I was soaked to the bone, beat down and exhausted. I shot the coon, skinned it, made a fire, ate it up with the dog, curled up with him tucked in my jacket and went to sleep. In the morning I shot 4 squirrels ,cooked and (we) ate them. We followed a creek to a road and followed that to a road I knew and found my truck. It was quite the adventure.
Good Lord! I coon hunted for years and never had an adventure like that! I bet when you think about it now you realize how neat that was. Just you and your hound roughing it.

TRACKER 08-30-2008 11:55 PM

Oh ya a few years back .
I had purchased my 80 acre lot the year before ans was doing some hunting and scouting ,
I had my fanny pack on witch contained my compas , binoculars , scents, extra clip and more .
I was abought 150 yards in ans all ofthe sudden looked down and noticed my fanny pack had fallen off .
Wow what a grim fealing ,
Luckly there was a road close enough by so when a car went down it I new witch direction to go in .
My next plan was to climb a tall tree using its branches to see where I was .
Since then I carried 2 compasses one in the fanny pack and one clip to my coat ..Best 2
$2. I spent ......
Although I have been thinking abought getting a GPS .
Are they realy worth it ?????

jakelogsdon 08-31-2008 12:22 AM

The Dark will get you. Everything starts to look the same when the sun goes down. Your eyes start to really play tricks on you. If you are hunting a vast or remote area it is best to leave yourself a foolproof way out. Reflective tacks work good on the way in and out. If your light goes out your screwed. GPS works good until your battery goes dead. Shooting an azimuth with you compass works good as well. Knowing the terrain features (draws, spurs, ridges) helps. Its good to know as many different things about the area as possible. If you do happen to get lost, don't panic. It is hard not to. Once you realize you are truly lost, fear kicks in and scrambles any rational thoughts you might have. Sometimes it is best to sit down and let the adrenillan slow and calm down before moving any further. Think about things that could help get you back; a creek that runs toward your truck, land marks that are distinguishable (large boulders, old oak trees, dead fallen trees....). Sounds, lights, anything that could be helpful. If you still remain lost. Stop where you are and spend the night Don't keep walking all night, it could potentially get you good and lost. When the sun comes up it will usually reveal that you are surprisingly close to your trail or destination.

crokit 08-31-2008 06:39 AM

Never.

MichaelT. 08-31-2008 08:31 AM

I never have , but another guy in my lease did.... on our lease. But he had his cell phone on him, and even though it barely held a signal, he called me and I understood enough to know he was at the lease. I got in my truck , with my phone, my GPS, and a handgun, and went after him. I found him and got him back to my truck. He was happy enough to cry. He was scared, exhausted, and hungry. He had been lost for a few hours before he ever called...... pride kept him from calling immediately.

I have been using a GPS for about 15 years now.... and I will always own and carry one. I have tried several, but I currently ownmy 2ndGarmin, I have found them to beeasy to use and more reliable in the area where I live / hunt.

Should you go ahead and get one... Yes, absolutely..... and ALWAYS carry it and an extra set of batteries.... I have had the batteries die while out, BUT I always carry extra batteries.

God Bless

MET

whitetaildreamer 08-31-2008 10:32 AM

Been turned around for a while but never lost. You are only lost if someone has to come out and find you.

blackpowderfever 08-31-2008 10:58 AM

twice last year as a matter of fact. I have not ever before, I just got turned around on new ground. GPS's are good but you have to watch where you are. I know a guy who bought a brand new unit and when he got to the mountain it screwed up and he would have been in trouble if not for his compass.