Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 08-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Control

Are you looking for a cover scent or are looking to lure them in, and try to get em to nibble on your shoe strings? I have seen scent killer made in acorn scent, but I never liked it. If I use anything natural for cover scent it is cedar. I usually cut a few cedar limbs and put them in the bottom of a big rubbermade storage tote cover the limbs with an old towel or something to keep the sap off you good stuff, and let it sit for a day or so. Just hope you are not allergic to cedar.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 AM

I thought you used scentlok washin detergent!!!!! I never even KNEW about doing some of this stuff!!!! What good information guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

Before every deer season i go out and i collect acorns. I smash the acorns up and place them in a bag with my clothes, so my clothes smell like acorns(it works very well to cover your scent and to attract deer). This year none of the trees in Ky are producing acorns because of last years drought. Does anyone have any recommendation for a new scent cover, preferably a scent control that smells like acorns.

Any comments would help...
http://www.answers.com/topic/acorn-deer
Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cover scent is a waste of time.....Have you ever seen a buck trot across a corn field and smell your or a does scent with no problem at all? Don't you think the smell of the dirt, leaves, and corn stalks are by far a much stronger scent than what you or the doe left on the ground? ( Go ahead and put yournose to the ground and see what you smell).If cover scent worked then the buck would have a very hard time smelling you or the other deer in the much stronger scent of the corn field.

You ever see a bloodhound track someone? They can find where a single person sat in a baseball stadium full of people. Even with the smell of food, trash, and hundreds of other people walking around. This is because each scent( and person)has it's own molecular make up (like a fingerprint so to speak) that cant be covered or changed by placing another scent with it.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

Cover scent is a waste of time.....Have you ever seen a buck trot across a corn field and smell your or a does scent with no problem at all? Don't you think the smell of the dirt, leaves, and corn stalks are by far a much stronger scent than what you or the doe left on the ground? ( Go ahead and put yournose to the ground and see what you smell).If cover scent worked then the buck would have a very hard time smelling you or the other deer in the much stronger scent of the corn field.

You ever see a bloodhound track someone? They can find where a single person sat in a baseball stadium full of people. Even with the smell of food, trash, and hundreds of other people walking around. This is because each scent( and person)has it's own molecular make up (like a fingerprint so to speak) that cant be covered or changed by placing another scent with it.
I agree with the blood hound statement. However, I think he is inquiring about a persons scent in the wind not in their tracks. I believe that it is very possible to cover or mask your scent in the wind, to a certain extent. Trails are a different story. Some animals can track you simply from the disturbance your foot makes in the ground alone (all scents aside).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent is scent...doesnt matter if it's on the ground or in the air. You just cant cover it up. Like I said, each scent have it's own molecular make up. Putting a scent waffer on your hat doesnt change anything. Your scent is still there and doesnt matter if it's your scent alone or 10 different scents. Many keep thinking in the terms in how we humans smell and it's just not the same.

I've seen bird dogs wind a quail a long way off and how many other animal and plant scents are in the air yet they can pick out the quail scent even with God knows how many other scents in the air.

The best thing you can do is just keep as clean as you can and play the wind.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

50-50 vanilla and water smells a lot like white oak acorns.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea our region (Ohio,Kentucky, Indiana) hasnt produced any or manyacorns.. From white oaks that is.. I found a "Burr Oak" on a property I do landscaping for and Im gonna do the same thing. FIlled up a 5-gallon bucket of them last week. These acorns from burr oaks are the size of golf balls!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Scent is scent...doesnt matter if it's on the ground or in the air. You just cant cover it up. Like I said, each scent have it's own molecular make up. Putting a scent waffer on your hat doesnt change anything. Your scent is still there and doesnt matter if it's your scent alone or 10 different scents.
Disagree. If your scent is weak enough in the first place, it can be covered (scent free showers, scent free deodorant etc...). Your personal scent must have a strong smelling "molecular makeup". Maybe from brewing all that whiskey. it's coming out of your pours.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jakelogsdon

Scent is scent...doesnt matter if it's on the ground or in the air. You just cant cover it up. Like I said, each scent have it's own molecular make up. Putting a scent waffer on your hat doesnt change anything. Your scent is still there and doesnt matter if it's your scent alone or 10 different scents.
Disagree. If your scent is weak enough in the first place, it can be covered (scent free showers, scent free deodorant etc...). Your personal scent must have a strong smelling "molecular makeup". Maybe from brewing all that whiskey. it's coming out of your pours.
Taking showers, scent free deoderant, etc....is not cover scent. Its controlling your scent. Thats not the same as covering it with another scent. If you notice in my reply I said the best thing you can do is keep as clean as you can and hunt the wind. It must have slipped past you....

I have done all the scnet free things you can do and walked a short distance behind my house and still got busted by a deer. We will still give off a human oder no matter what we do. All we can do is keep as clean as we can to keep foreign and bacterial oder down to a minimum.

The human body sheds about 50 million cells each minute so unless you can set in a sealed bag you will always give off a scent trail.

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.