Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control

Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent Control

Before every deer season i go out and i collect acorns. I smash the acorns up and place them in a bag with my clothes, so my clothes smell like acorns(it works very well to cover your scent and to attract deer). This year none of the trees in Ky are producing acorns because of last years drought. Does anyone have any recommendation for a new scent cover, preferably a scent control that smells like acorns.

Any comments would help...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control

No ideas on a scent cover that smells like acorns.. But I am having the same issue as you. Here in SW Ohio and SE Indiana (where my hunting property is), all the white oaks didnt produce any acorns. I finally found one oak on the property I manage that is producing acorns. Its a "Burr Oak". Giant acorns the size of golf balls.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I use two different cover scents ... cedar branches and dried leaves.

I cut the cedar branches and then boil them in water. I then filter the water and place it in a spray bottle and carry it with me into the woods and periodically spray it during the day.

I also place my hunting clothes in a garbage bag with some of the cedar branches after I have washed them in scent-free wash.

With the leaves, I dry them and then before entering the woods, I burn them and allow the smoke to permeate the clothing including my hat. Be sure to "smoke" all areas were one sweat glands are located, arm pits, crotch, neck and etc.

I've been doing this for over thirty years and have had deer literally step on me while still huntin'!

I too live in Kentucky ... Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

How many acorns do you need???

Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM

no shortage of acorns at my house or my stand. im tired of mowin em
Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just use store bought scent illiminators, i.e. scent away
Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use Scent Killer. Thought about throwing some cedar branches in my tote, but I don.t hunt around cedar trees. Don't know if that would make a difference though.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

I just got done washing my hunting clothes , I let them hang outside all day to dry. Now what i do isput my scent lock clothes in the dryer for 10 minutes to active them and put them in a scent free duffle bag. The rest of my clothes i put in a duffle bag and put three earth scent wafers in the bag with them. I have been doing this for years I think it works pretty well.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

you dont need to many acorns, maybe 50... but i collect more than that i leave them around my stand to help attract the deer.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I forgot 1 important thing. I don't eat Taco Johns the night before.

Quick Reply: Scent Control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.