Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Hunt

Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Default First Hunt

Im sure it has been posted before and I apologize.

What is your story about your first hunt, your favorite thing, what gun did you use, how old were you, what did you kill on your first hunt, etc.

Thanks

CupCake28
Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Hunt

ORIGINAL: CupCake28

What is your story about your first hunt
I had been going with my uncle since the age of 8 (1947) quail hunting and learning about dog training. For my 12thbirth day my dad gave me his Win mod 12 20ga (Which I still have) and I brought down 12 quail on my next hunting trip.
your favorite thing,
Training& Working the dogs
Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first hunt was a rabbit hunt with my cousin, uncles, and their dogs in Rising Sun, Indiana when I was 12 years old. I used my Remington 870 20 gauge and killed one rabbit. My first deer hunt was four years ago in Morgan county Indiana. I used my H&R 12 gauge and shot a doe at sixty five yards at last light on the last day offirearm season. I will never forget either of those hunts. Since my first deer hunt, I have a serious addiction to everything related to hunting and the outdoors.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

My first hunt was out of a blind, I was 14 and I was using my dads 30-30 lever action. I was sitting for only about a 10-20 min past sun rise and a small 8-point showed up. I shot him and had to wait for an hour, and i was shaking uncontrolably the entire time. When we found him he was laying ina creek about 30 yards from where I shot him. My favorite part of the hunt was being able to harvest a decent buck my first time out.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first hunt was last year. The only thing I saw were trees and snow.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Centauri

My first hunt was last year. The only thing I saw were trees and snow.
I bet that makes you want to do it over and over again
I hope thats now how my first hunt goes. If I dont shoot anything, Id alteast like to see them!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Cupcake, so you're not only new to this site, you're new to hunting?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

My first hunt was when I was 11 years old and my Grandmother bought me a fiberglass bow with wooden arrows. The shop keeper suggested field points, as I pleaded with her to purchase a "razor blade" arrow.

I set up near an under ground spring fed creek. I was shootin' the first animal that happened by. I noticed all of the birds were flyin' in and staying out of harms way because they could see this eager young lad waiting to stick something.

Idecided to climb the short, but steep hill to get closer to the game. AsI crawled to the top of the hill I noticed a bird about 15 yards away ... I pulled back on the string and gazed down the stickto the bird sitting on the branch.

I let the arrow fly ... it seemed like it was in slow motion. The arrow, as soon as it left my bow seemed to be flying over my intended target. Just as that thought came to mind the arrow began to fall and pierced the bird ...dead center.

Wow!
As I walked up to my trophy, I soon realized that not only had my arrow pierced the bird but was still imbedded. The bird was half way between my delicate fletching and my "razor blade" tip.
After thinking over my dilemma, I stood on the bird with both feet and began to wiggle and work the "razor blade" tip back out of the hole it had entered, guts and all.

After that experience, I was a little more cautious ...I was ready to move up to a Daisy BB gun!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: A11en

Cupcake, so you're not only new to this site, you're new to hunting?
Correct. It has always interested me and about 4 years ago I was going to start my adventure but I got pregnant and decided when she is old enough to join me, then I shall pick up where I left off. I have always been a big outdoors fan. Fishing was my biggest hobby growing up. Being grounded didnt phase me so they took my fishin pole away for punishment.
Big into hiking, camping, and kayaking as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I shot my first game animal ever during the 2000 spring turkey season. That was an exciting hunt. But since this is the deer hunting section, I'll tell you about my first deer I ever shot which was the same year (2000) during Ohio's deer gun season.

I had gone through hunter's ed and got my license a couple years earlier, but only so I could help the guys by pushing deer for them. I had no interest in shooting. In fact, I can't really remember why I suddenly became interested in learning to shoot a gun, but I eventually did. So in fall of 2000, I went on the annual hunting trip with my husband, my brother-in-law and my father-in-law, but this time I was carrying a gun. Opening day, my husband got a deer (gosh I don't even remember if it was a buck or doe, LOL). I don't think I saw any deer that day. The second day of season, my husband and B-I-L were busy workingso my father-in-law and Iheaded off to the woods. I had already said that I would only shoot a big buck or a doe and I would let all little bucks walk. Oh my how things can change.

I was set up looking over a large draw that was a great funnel. At 8am, a little forkhorn came by and hung out for a bit around 25y away. I practiced aiming at him, but never took the safety off because I was not going to shoot a little buck. How exciting though!!!!!!!!! One hour later I spy a small 5 point (would have be a small 8 if not for some broken points, but still only a 1 1/2 year old deer) and he was heading my way. I thought about it. Then I decided that my self-imposed "no little bucks rule" was pretty stupid when I had never ever shot a deer yet. So when the buck got to the same 25y spot as the first deer, I shot. The deer turned and ran over the lip of the ravine and out of view.

I was shaking so bad afterwards. I decided to sit there for a bit and wait. After about 30 minutes, my father-in-law came by so I went to take a look. The deer only went about 70y or less and was just over the hill from where I could see. My shot had hit only an inch or two in front of the heart and had taken out the main artery in front of the heart. I field dressed the deer and my f-i-l helped me drag it out of the woods. My husband got back fromthe work he had to do that morning justa couple hours later. I still remember how excited he was to see my first deer.

I shot it with my Remington 870 20 gauge using Lightfield sabots. Oh and had just turned 40 years old the week before.

Since then, I have gone back to my self-imposed "no little bucks" rule. To this day, that was my first and last little buck that I have ever shot. Actually my only buck to date, everything else has been does. Lots of little bucks in range over the years, but they all get a pass fromme. I'd like to take up bowhunting by next yearso time will tell if my "rule" will be forgotten one more time in the future. LOL!

Quick Reply: First Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.