Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backpacks....Fanny Packs?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Backpacks....Fanny Packs?

Thinking about getting a backpack or fanny pack with shoulder straps...I see alot around $200...Are they nuts??? I know they come with a warrenty but geez...

Anyone know a good pack around $50-60 that is of decent quality, waterproof, and comfortable to wear.

Looking to carry a knife, flashlight, deer drag, change of hats, gloves,some food, and maybe 2-3 bottles of water.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backpacks....Fanny Packs?

Look at Wal mart. I bought one a couple years back in the hunting section for $25. I now use my turkey vest to carry my stuff but I use the backpack for carrying 3 trail cams, batteries, a little garden rake and some mock scrape materials. Actually I have 2 backpacks. My other has all my treestand equipment. You should have plenty of room.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Fieldline a couple of years back that was pretty good....can't remember the model, but they make a decent pack and they are not super expensive.
If you like one of the name brands (Badlands, Crooked Horn, etc) just be patient you can find them on sale at least once a year, and you can always try ebay.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea fiedline at walmart 20-30 bucks, the one i have has lots of compartments and is very quiet in the woods. but it is not water proof, oh well guess a body cant have everything for such a cheap price
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a feildline from wal mart
treated it with camp dry
Works good
Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I just use a Dakine Mission camo snowboard pack. I throw a Seal Line packcover over it. My girl found the pack in a used and closeout gear store for like $25.00. I poach it for hunting season. It's perfect. My spotting scope fits in the outside water bottle pocket, plenty of little stash pockets, big main compartment for ropes, a jacket, etc.., it has a side pocket that my binocs fit in when I'm not wearing them. It's hydration compatable. The pack cover is orange but they come in a bunch of different colors.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a Fieldline fannypack last year from Walmart and it is noisy when I walk. I don't like it at all. I have an old (15 years) Fieldline Back Pack made of Polar Fleece and it is much better although I would like to update it. Seems like there is a pretty big gap in backpacks these days either $25or $100 plus nothing in between. Those ones for big bucks don't impress me either.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I got this Mad Dog gear fanny pack fromSportsman's Warehouse....$24, I think I paid.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/maddogfannypack.htm
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Just picked up a Feildline from Wally for $20. Looks heavy duty enough. Its a three day pack. Has plenty of room, very comfy. One thing I like about it is the 2 steel leafs that ride on your back for support, the waist and kidney strap for comfort. Suprised by the large capacity of it. I hunt in some frigid climates at times and pack in quite a ways so thats important to me. That way I can carry my warm clothes in to where ever I'm going. Also shed hunting in the spring it will come in nice for carrying antlers.Have yet to see a pack this nice for $20 bucks. Other good options are those military surplus packs on ebay. If I wouldn't have found this one I would have went that route.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take a little waist belt typr thing that has three seperate compartments that carries all my stuff and I carry alittle more than you mentioned, I got it at a local hunting store for like 20 bucks....I would never spend that kind of money on a pack to take to the stand....If I were trekking into the mountains for days maybe but still hunting in a standfor maybe a full day....No way I would spend that kind of money either!!!

Quick Reply: Backpacks....Fanny Packs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.