Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scent control...how far do you go? >

Scent control...how far do you go?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control...how far do you go?

Old 03-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent control...how far do you go?

How far do you guys go to eliminate your scent when you go hunting?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:18 AM

Default RE: Scent control...how far do you go?

A lot farther than most hunters would believe and if I went into detail I would just get flamed by those who don' t believe in it, as has happened on other forums.I had a doe bed down about 40 feet from me this season in swirling winds and saw several more bucks and does directly downwind of me.I could see when they hit my scent but it was too faint for them to be alarmed and after showing caution they continued on.You can never be 100% scentproof thats not the goal as its unattainable,you continue to breathe and cells continue to slough off.Instead you try to make your scent so faint that they can' t tell when and how far away you were from them when you made it.Its a ton of work and a pain in the neck but you can get results if you cover all the basics and then build from there.

woods
Old 03-12-2003, 05:19 AM

Once in a While I spray a little scent neutralizer on my boots & clothes, that' s only when I' m not sitting in one of my box stands over a field. Most of my hunting is done with dogs pushing the deer out so they don' t have time to worry about what I smell like, still hunting is just a thing for me to kill time a couple of afternoons during the week & help keep crop damage down.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

During bow season I take my series of precautions, during rifle I don' t bother with all that, it' s not as important.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not fanatical about it but I will use a scent neutralizing spray on my clothes during bow season.Rifle season I don' t use anything.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here' s what i do no matter what weapon I am toting, it has become routine to me and really see no effort in doing so.

Washing my gear:
a) Fill up the washing machine and run a large load cycle with extra rinse empty to remove the wife' s Tide and Fabric Softners.
b) Then use arm and hammer baking soda (scent free and dye free) Laundry Detergent. Set the machine to large load and extra rinse.
c) Air dry all clothing, perferably outside (If I have to dry I throw in wet towels to remove fabric softners and static sheet materials). Then turn my gear inside out and dry on delicate in a tumble, once dry I immediately hang outside for 8-12 hours.
d) Place my hunting gear in rubbermaid sealed containers with field materials from my hunting area(ie: branchs, earth, leaves, etc)

Also if I am on a trip and no washing machine I will take a sealed container and use straight baking soda to draw out scent and neutralize. I will leave it in the container as long as I can and then move it to field materials container to provide a cover. (I always rotate my camo when i hunt on week long trips, so they stay fresh)

Before the hunt:
Shower before every hunt with Ivory bar soap and unscented shampoo. I use unscented Arm and Hammer Pit stick, place on my arm pits and my knee pits as well. Brush my teeth with arm and hammer or baking soda toothpaste.

Usually dress in the field, were normal clothes from home. Transport my hunting clothes in the sealed container.

In the field:
In the field I use a homebrew cover which is again dependant on the area, I spray my boots, head, hat, under arms, crotch and once over. I will refresh every couple of hours. Many commercial bottle scents will do the same thing, personally I like the Scent Sheilds Extra Strength-no scent...if I had to buy one.

I always hunt with the wind in my favor. Like woods, I don' t believe you can eliminate all your scent and wind direction is always key.

I drink only water and eat foods that won' t produce gas or stincky breath. My favorite is PBJ sandies and cereal mix or bars. It give energy and protein to fight of the growlys and cold temperatures.

I dress in layers, as this will not only keep you warmer but fell it helps trap scent in somewhat.

Also in swirling wind or bowl areas, I will sometimes place out tampons in a semi cirlce around my location, soaked in doe pee. Not so much to attract but rather distract from my presence.

So you tell me how anal or over the top I am. I spend much less on scent control, b/c I have gone the cheap man route. Here' s the kicker it works!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter, you hogged all the glory, I wanted to say something too.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

OOOOOPPPPS

I was hoping by posting more details, some of others would elobrate for PAhunter. I know he is new to the sport and would probably be very happy to weed through the results to try something for himself.

BTW, Pressure has nothing to do with my situations. I think if your serious about getting close to animals and getting opportunties to arise you must be aware of what impact you have on the game. Scent is the number one defense for most big game animals. 300 yards in a box blind maybe different but I prefer to hunt in their bedroom, any error I make and good chance my season is over.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wash with a scent killing soap, use scent free deodorant. Wash underwear.socks.and undershirts with scentkiller deturgent. The rest of my clothes, pants,shirt,jacket' ,headgear,and sneakers during bow season are all scent-lok. Also use scent killer spray on hands.hair and exterior of clothes once I climb into my stand. Also spray shoes and bow. can never be scent free enough.

Quick Reply: Scent control...how far do you go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.